Tension in a rope with weight held by a muscle builder

In summary: There are three forces: the weight downwards, and two equal tension forces.The horizontal components must add to zero, so they must be equal, and the vertical components must add to zero, so mg = …The downward force must be negative and the upward force positive, so mg = -147N.
Adi1973

Homework Statement

A muscle builder holds the end of a massless rope. At the end of the rope, a 15 kg ball is hung as shown in the figure. What is the tension in the rope if the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] in the drawing is 4.5[tex]^{}o[/tex]?

Homework Equations

g = 9.8m/s[tex]^{}2[/tex]
F = mg
Trigonometrical functions

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached a picture. My answer is just totally wrong... but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Please could you help out. I apologise for any stupid mistakes!

The ball is being pulled by the two hands, forming a triangle that can be divided into two right triangles with sides labeled a1, b1, c1 and a2, b2, c2 respectively.

θ Is given as 4.5°

b1 = b2 = mg = 9.8N x 15N (weight of ball given as 15kg = 15N, gravitational pull is 9.8m/s2 = 9.8N)
= 147N

The tension of the rope would equal the force created by the hands pulling (a1 and a2) and a1 = a2.

sinθ = a1/b1
∴ a1 = b1 sinθ
= (147N)sin4.5°
= 12N

Attachments

• musclebuilder.pdf
    187.5 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Adi1973! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Adi1973 said:
b1 = b2 = mg = 9.8N x 15N (weight of ball given as 15kg = 15N, gravitational pull is 9.8m/s2 = 9.8N)

sinθ = a1/b1

noooo :cry: … sinθ = b1/a1 :redface:

sin = opp/hyp, cos= adj/hyp, tan = opp/adj :wink:

(and 15kg is not 15N, it's 15kg !

similarly, 9.8m/s2 is not 9.8N, it's … ? :smile:)

Hi tiny-tim, thank you so much for replying. I knew I was going to make someone cry with my answer...

Firstly, after having consulted my subject material, thanks I found the correct formula with regards to gravity, weight and work done: m/s2 x kg = N and yes, it doesn't mean I can just "convert" the m/s2 and kg values both to Newton... sorry.

Secondly, sinθ = b1/a1 - yes! It is actually one of the things I thought I finally got memorised but it's early days, so I'm obviously still making mistakes while turning the triangle in my head to find the right this over that formula. Thanks for pointing that out.

So, new answer (keep the tissues close):

N = gm
= 9.8m/s2 x 15kg (weight of ball given as 15kg, gravitational pull is 9.8m/s2)
= 147N

θ Is given as 4.5°
sinθ = b1/a1
∴ a1 = b1 /sinθ
= 147N/sin4.5°
= 1900N (1873.5 rounded to two significant figures)

Is that right?

Hi Adi1973! :smile:
Adi1973 said:
So, new answer (keep the tissues close):

N = gm
= 9.8m/s2 x 15kg (weight of ball given as 15kg, gravitational pull is 9.8m/s2)
= 147N

θ Is given as 4.5°
sinθ = b1/a1
∴ a1 = b1 /sinθ
= 147N/sin4.5°
= 1900N (1873.5 rounded to two significant figures)

Is that right?

ohh … so close :blushing:

only 100% out! :cry:

Do you have to divide the answer by two to get the tension, as it is shared on two sides (two hands pulling?)

Adi1973 said:
Do you have to divide the answer by two to get the tension, as it is shared on two sides (two hands pulling?)

hmm …yees, but … you're not thinking or talking like a physicist yet

draw the free body diagram …

then say
"There are three forces: the weight downwards, and two equal tension forces

The horizontal components must add to zero, so they must be equal, and the vertical components must add to zero, so mg = … " :wink:

Do you mean that the downward force should be negative and the upward one positive? So mg = -147N? I'm sorry, I think I'm getting more lost now!

Adi1973 said:
Do you mean that the downward force should be negative and the upward one positive?

If you're measuring both the same way, then yes.

If you're measuring everything upward, then the weight is negative and the component of the tension is positive,

if you're measuring everything downward, then the weight is positive and the component of the tension is negative …

in either case, because the system is in equilibrium, everything adds to zero. :smile:

1. How does tension in a rope affect muscle growth?

Tension in a rope plays a crucial role in muscle growth for a muscle builder. When weight is held by a muscle builder, it creates tension in the rope which in turn creates resistance. This resistance stimulates the muscle fibers, leading to micro-tears. As these tears heal, the muscles become stronger and grow in size.

2. What is the ideal amount of tension for muscle building?

The ideal amount of tension for muscle building varies depending on the individual's strength and fitness level. Generally, it is recommended to use enough weight to create tension and resistance, but not so much that it causes strain or injury. It is important to gradually increase tension as muscles become stronger to continue seeing progress.

3. Can too much tension in a rope be harmful?

Yes, too much tension in a rope can be harmful. Excessive tension can put strain on the muscles, tendons, and joints, potentially leading to injury. It is important to use proper form and gradually increase tension to avoid overexertion and injury.

4. How does tension in a rope differ from other forms of weightlifting?

Tension in a rope is different from other forms of weightlifting because it utilizes a different type of resistance. In traditional weightlifting, the resistance comes from gravity and the weight of the object being lifted. In tension-based exercises, the resistance comes from the tension created in the rope by the weight being held. This type of resistance can help improve stability and engage smaller, stabilizing muscles.

5. How can I effectively use tension in a rope for muscle building?

To effectively use tension in a rope for muscle building, it is important to choose the right weight and gradually increase tension as muscles become stronger. It is also important to maintain proper form and control the movement throughout the exercise. Additionally, incorporating a variety of tension-based exercises and incorporating them into a well-rounded workout routine can help target different muscle groups and promote muscle growth.