Proof of central limit theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using momentgenerating functions to prove the momentgenerating function of the average of independent variables approaches that of a normal distribution as the number of variables approaches infinity. It involves calculating the momentgenerating function and taking the limit as n approaches infinity, using l'Hopital's rule to find the final result. However, there is a discrepancy in the final result and the conversation ends with a request for help in determining the error.
skwey
Hi I want to prove this using momentgenerating functions. I would like to do this without going into the standard normal distribution, just the normal distribution.

I would like to show that the momentgenerating function of
(x1+x2+x3...xn)/n--->e^(ut+sigma^2t/2) as n-->infinity.

x1, x2, x3,xn =independent variables with mean u and variance sigma^2
e^(ut+sigma^2t/2)=momentgenerating function of a normal distribution

1.calculating the moment generating function
This I get to be

[M(t/n)]^n where M(t) is the momentgenerating function of the variable x1 or x2 or xn. [M(t/n)]^n is the momentgenerating function of (x1+x2+x3..xn)/n

Finding the limit as n->infinity.

I take the natural logarithm and get n*ln[M(t/n)]=ln[M(t/n)]/(1/n)
as n->infinity we get 0/0 since M(0)=1 and ln(1)=0

I then use l'Hopital to get:

M'(t/n)*t/M(t/n)

when n goes to infinity this goes to ut since M'(0)=u, but it should be ut+sigma^2/2

Does anyone see why I do not get the last part, what have I forgotten?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The l'Hopital part:

ln[M(t/n)]' / (1/n) '
=[M'(t/n)*-t/n^2 / M(t/n)] / [-1/n^2]= M'(t/n)*t/M(t/n). As n-> infinity this becomes ut.

1. What is the central limit theorem?

The central limit theorem is a fundamental concept in statistics that states that when independent random variables are added, their sum tends towards a normal distribution, even if the individual variables themselves are not normally distributed. In other words, it explains why normal distributions are so common in statistics.

2. Why is the central limit theorem important?

The central limit theorem is important because it allows us to make assumptions about the population based on a sample of data. It also forms the basis for many statistical tests and methods, such as confidence intervals and hypothesis testing.

3. What is the proof of the central limit theorem?

The proof of the central limit theorem involves using mathematical concepts such as the law of large numbers and the characteristic function to show that the sum of independent random variables will converge to a normal distribution as the sample size increases.

4. Can the central limit theorem be applied to any type of data?

No, the central limit theorem is only applicable to data that is independent and identically distributed (i.i.d). This means that each data point is not influenced by any other data point and that the data follows the same distribution.

5. Are there any limitations to the central limit theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the central limit theorem. It assumes that the sample size is large enough and that the data is independent and identically distributed. If these assumptions are not met, the central limit theorem may not hold and other methods may need to be used to analyze the data.