Scattering partial wave expansion question

In summary, Shankar explains the partial wave expansion by expanding the incident plane wave using Legendre polynomials. He also mentions that the potential conserves angular momentum, so each angular momentum component scatters independently. He further explains that when a bunch of partial waves are superposed, each partial wave still scatters in a simple way due to linearity. Additionally, when there is a partial wave of only one L and m, the scattered wave must also have that same L and m. However, when there are multiple partial waves with different L's, their amplitudes cannot switch around in a way that conserves the total L. In another example of scattering off a hard sphere, Shankar notes that at low energies, there is negligible
VortexLattice
Hi, I'm reading about the partial wave expansion in Shankar. In his method, we expand the incident plane wave (he chooses it such that it's coming in along the z axis, and using spherical coordinates) using the Legendre polynomials:

[tex]e^{ikr cos(\theta)} = \sum _{l = 0} ^\infty i^l (2l + 1) j_l(kr)P_l(cos(\theta))[/tex]

Then he says that "since the potential conserves angular momentum, each angular momentum component scatters independently". I get what he's saying, but my question is: Why couldn't the values of j_l(kr) switch around such that the various angular momentum components switch around, but the total amount is still conserved?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose we just had a single incoming partial wave instead of a bunch of them superposed. This partial wave has a definite L and m. Since the Hamiltonian conserves angular momentum, the outgoing, scattered wave must have the same L and m, i.e. it must be proportional to the incoming partial wave, since there is only one partial wave for each possible (L,m) pair. When we superpose a bunch of partial waves to get a plane wave, each partial wave still scatters in this simple way, because of linearity/the superposition principle.

The_Duck said:
Suppose we just had a single incoming partial wave instead of a bunch of them superposed. This partial wave has a definite L and m. Since the Hamiltonian conserves angular momentum, the outgoing, scattered wave must have the same L and m, i.e. it must be proportional to the incoming partial wave, since there is only one partial wave for each possible (L,m) pair. When we superpose a bunch of partial waves to get a plane wave, each partial wave still scatters in this simple way, because of linearity/the superposition principle.

I see what you're saying, I think: that when there is a partial wave of only one L and m, the scattered wave has to have that. But when there are a bunch of partial waves with different L's, why can't their amplitudes switch around such that the total L is still conserved?

Thanks!

The system is linear - the incoming wave with a superposition of different L can be viewed as the sum of individual incoming waves with fixed L.

mfb said:
The system is linear - the incoming wave with a superposition of different L can be viewed as the sum of individual incoming waves with fixed L.

Hmmm, right... Ok, I have another question about the partial wave expansion. He does an example of scattering off a hard sphere, and then shows some qualitative stuff about it at the end. He says about an equation for k -> 0 (low energy): "This agrees with the intuitive expectation that at low energies there should be negligible scattering in the high angular momentum states."

I don't see that intuitively. Why would high angular momentum states scatter less, intuitively?

Thanks!

How do you get high angular momentum with low energy => low momentum? Angular momentum is momentum times distance of closest approach. The velocity is fixed, so you need a large distance of closest approach. With a hard sphere, this value is limited by the radius of the sphere.

1. What is a scattering partial wave expansion?

A scattering partial wave expansion is a mathematical technique used to describe the scattering of waves, such as electromagnetic or acoustic waves, off of a potential or obstacle. It involves breaking down the incident wave into a series of partial waves, each with a different angular momentum, and then calculating the scattering amplitude for each partial wave. The sum of all the partial waves gives the total scattering amplitude, which can then be used to calculate the scattering cross section.

2. How is a scattering partial wave expansion used in physics?

A scattering partial wave expansion is used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and solid state physics. It is particularly useful in studying the scattering of particles or waves off of a potential, as it allows for a more detailed and accurate description of the scattering process compared to simpler models. It is also used in the analysis of experimental data to extract information about the properties of the scattering system, such as the shape and size of the potential.

3. What are the advantages of using a scattering partial wave expansion?

One of the main advantages of using a scattering partial wave expansion is that it allows for a more detailed and accurate description of the scattering process, compared to simpler models. It also provides a systematic way of including higher-order effects, such as higher angular momentum partial waves, which may be necessary for a more accurate description of the system. Additionally, the scattering amplitude can be easily calculated and compared to experimental data, making it a useful tool for analyzing scattering experiments.

4. Are there any limitations to the scattering partial wave expansion?

While the scattering partial wave expansion is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it assumes a spherically symmetric potential, which may not be applicable to all scattering systems. It also becomes more difficult to use for higher energies or larger scattering angles, as the number of partial waves needed for an accurate description increases. In some cases, other techniques, such as the eikonal approximation, may be more suitable for describing the scattering process.

5. How does the scattering partial wave expansion relate to other scattering theories?

The scattering partial wave expansion is closely related to other scattering theories, such as the Born approximation and the eikonal approximation. In fact, the Born approximation can be seen as the first term in the partial wave expansion. The eikonal approximation, on the other hand, is a more simplified version of the partial wave expansion, where only the leading term is considered. The partial wave expansion also shares similarities with other mathematical techniques, such as the Fourier transform, which is used to break down a function into a series of sinusoidal functions.