Who first solved the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics?

In summary, Pauli and Schrödinger both worked on the quantization of the Hydrogen atom in 1926. Pauli's paper was published in Zeitschrift für Physik in October 1925, while Schrödinger's paper was published in Annalen der Physik in January 1926. Although Pauli's paper was published earlier, the methods used by Pauli and Schrödinger were very different, making the issue of who was first not as important.
wdlang
is it pauli or schrodinger?

is there any original reference?

Physics news on Phys.org
afaik it was Pauli; he studied the operator algebra of the Hydrogen atom which can be mapped to an SO(4) algebra generated by the angular momentum and the Lenz-Runge operator, from which the spectrum can be derived exactly; however this does not include the solution fort the wave functions

1926, Zeitschrift für Physik, volume 36, page 336

I second Pauli, I remember reading a collection of papers from the beginnings of QM and iirc Pauli did it first.

Schrödinger did it in 1926 too, his paper was received January 27. E. Schrödinger: „Quantisierung als Eigenwertproblem I“, Annalen der Physik 79 (1926).

For Pauli I find "1926, Zeitschrift für Physik, volume 36, page 336-363" with the remark "Abgeschlossen [completed] I am Oktober 1925"

It was Pauli, but it doesn't really matter, because the two methods could not have been any more different. It's just like the case of the <Einstein field equations> of GR which were first published by David Hilbert, but the derivation method was different than the method of Einstein.

So the issue of <who was first> is really not that important.

1. Who is credited with solving the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics?

The hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics was first solved by a team of scientists consisting of Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, and Erwin Schrodinger in the early 1920s.

2. How did they solve the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics?

The team used a combination of mathematical equations, specifically the Schrodinger equation, to describe the behavior of the electrons in the hydrogen atom. They also incorporated Bohr's model of the atom, which states that electrons exist in specific energy levels around the nucleus.

3. What was the significance of solving the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics?

The solution of the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics was a major breakthrough in the field of physics. It provided a new understanding of the behavior of electrons and laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics as a whole.

4. Was the solution of the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics immediately accepted?

No, the solution was initially met with skepticism and controversy. It was only after experimental evidence supporting the predictions of the theory emerged that it gained widespread acceptance in the scientific community.

5. How does the solution of the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics impact our understanding of the universe?

The solution of the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws that govern it. It has led to many advancements in technology, such as the development of transistors and lasers, and continues to be an important area of research in modern physics.