Product Moment Correlation coefficient

In summary, the conversation involved a question about the correctness of a formula for calculating the standard deviation, with a value of 43.3 being obtained but the answer key stating that it should be 11.2. Further discussion revealed that the formula was indeed incorrect and an explanation was given about the maximum possible value for the standard deviation. The conversation ended with the questioner thanking for the clarification.
songoku

Homework Statement

pmcc_zps40c6535f.png

Homework Equations

[tex]r=\frac{S_{xy}}{S_{x} S_{y}}[/tex]

[tex]S_{x}=\sqrt{\Sigma(x-\bar{x})^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the value of Sx several times and I got 43.3 but the answer key said that Sx = 11.2

1. Is my formula correct?
2. If yes, is my calculation correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
43.3 is larger than the largest deviation from the average, it cannot be the standard deviation.
I think there is a prefactor missing in your formula for S_x.

mfb said:
43.3 is larger than the largest deviation from the average, it cannot be the standard deviation.
I think there is a prefactor missing in your formula for S_x.

I just found out that my formula is wrong.

What do you mean by "43.3 is larger than the largest deviation from the average" ? Please explain because I really want have that kind of insight :smile:

Thanks

The standard deviation is a measure for the "typical", or "average"* deviation from the mean. You have a mean somewhere at ~30 (guessed), so the largest deviation from the mean is about 24. The typical deviation cannot be larger than this.

*squared average, to be precise

mfb said:
The standard deviation is a measure for the "typical", or "average"* deviation from the mean. You have a mean somewhere at ~30 (guessed), so the largest deviation from the mean is about 24. The typical deviation cannot be larger than this.

*squared average, to be precise

I get it. Thanks a lot for your help

What is the Product Moment Correlation Coefficient?

The Product Moment Correlation Coefficient, also known as Pearson's correlation coefficient, is a statistical measure used to determine the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables. It is denoted by the symbol r and ranges from -1 to 1.

How is the Product Moment Correlation Coefficient calculated?

The Product Moment Correlation Coefficient is calculated by dividing the covariance of the two variables by the product of their standard deviations. This can be expressed as: r = (cov(X,Y)) / (σX * σY)

What does a positive/negative value of the Product Moment Correlation Coefficient mean?

A positive value of r indicates a positive linear relationship between the two variables, meaning that as one variable increases, the other also increases. A negative value of r indicates a negative linear relationship, meaning that as one variable increases, the other decreases.

What is the significance of the Product Moment Correlation Coefficient?

The Product Moment Correlation Coefficient is used to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. A value of 0 indicates no linear relationship, while a value of -1 or 1 indicates a perfect negative or positive linear relationship, respectively.

What are the limitations of the Product Moment Correlation Coefficient?

The Product Moment Correlation Coefficient only measures linear relationships and does not account for non-linear relationships. It is also affected by outliers and can be influenced by the range and distribution of the data. Additionally, it does not imply causation, only correlation.