Find the maximum value of the product of two real numbers

In summary: Don't think of it as a function ##g(x,y)## think of it as a restriction ##g(x,y):=k## is an equation not a function, more precisely it's level curve or surface of the function
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The sum of two real numbers ##x## and ##y## is ##12##. Find the maximum value of their product ##xy##.
Relevant Equations
Arithmetic and geometric means
Using the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means,
$$\frac {x+y}{2}≥\sqrt{xy}$$
$$6^2≥xy$$
$$36≥xy$$

I can see the textbook answer is ##36##, my question is can ##x=y?##, like in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve
[tex]xy=36[/tex]
[tex]x+y=12[/tex]
to check your assumption.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Solve
[tex]xy=36[/tex]
[tex]x+y=12[/tex]
to check your assumption.
$$x^2-12x+36=0$$, Giving us a repeated root... i get that, ok ##⇒x=y## cheers Anutta...

Another way to do this that doesn't use the arithmetic mean and geometric mean:

Maximize ##f(x, y) = xy## given that ##x + y = 12##.
##f(x, y) = xy = x(12 - x) = -x^2 + 12x = -(x^2 - 12x + 36) + 36 = -(x - 6)^2 + 36##
The graph of the last expression is a parabola that opens downward, with its vertex at (6, 36). Since the parabola opens downward, its maximum value is 36.

• Love
Likes benorin, Delta2 and chwala
Yet another way is direct substitution: use ##x+y =6## to sub in in ##f(x,y)= xy## and get a function of x alone. Then find the max in the usual way.

Likes benorin, Delta2 and chwala
WWGD said:
Yet another way is direct substitution: use ##x+y =6## to sub in in ##f(x,y)= xy## and get a function of x alone. Then find the max in the usual way.
This is exactly what I did in my previous post.

• Love
Likes Delta2 and WWGD
In both ##x+y=12## and ##xy##, ##x## and ##y## appear symmetrically, so I'd expect ##x=y## to correspond to an extremum ##xy##. It's then easy to see that it's a maximum and not a minimum.

Likes benorin and Delta2
vela said:
In both ##x+y=12## and ##xy##, ##x## and ##y## appear symmetrically, so I'd expect ##x=y## to correspond to an extremum ##xy##. It's then easy to see that it's a maximum and not a minimum.
Good point. Guess we can model it by a rectangle with perimeter 24 ( simplified by halving), whose area is maximized when both its sides are equal.

Likes benorin
...I just noted that we could also use the Lagrange Multiplier, in solving this kind of problems...

Likes benorin and PhDeezNutz
Lagrange multipliers method:

##f(x,y)=xy##
##g(x,y)=x+y=12##

##\nabla f := \lambda \nabla g##
##<y,x> := \lambda <1,1>##
Hence ##x=\lambda =y\Rightarrow x+x=12\Rightarrow x=6=y##

Not so bad :)

Likes chwala
benorin said:
Lagrange multipliers method:

##f(x,y)=xy##
##g(x,y)=x+y=12##

##\nabla f := \lambda \nabla g##
##<y,x> := \lambda <1,1>##
Hence ##x=\lambda =y\Rightarrow x+x=12\Rightarrow x=6=y##

Not so bad :)
Nice,...##g(x,y)= x+y##...from what I've read... and not ##x+y-12##...Is that correct. Cheers man!

the derivative of a constant is zero so it doesn't matter

benorin said:
the derivative of a constant is zero so it doesn't matter
Thanks ...I had already noted that...I just want to be certain on the correct definition of ##g(x,y)##...cheers benorin.

Don't think of it as a function ##g(x,y)## think of it as a restriction ##g(x,y):=k## is an equation not a function, more precisely it's level curve or surface of the function I told you not to think of. ;)

Likes chwala

1. What is the meaning of "maximum value of the product of two real numbers"?

The maximum value of the product of two real numbers refers to the largest possible result that can be obtained by multiplying any two real numbers together.

2. How do you find the maximum value of the product of two real numbers?

To find the maximum value of the product of two real numbers, you can use the following steps:

1. Choose two real numbers, x and y.
  2. Multiply x and y together to get the product, xy.
  3. Repeat this process with different values of x and y until you find the largest possible product.

3. Can the maximum value of the product of two real numbers be negative?

No, the maximum value of the product of two real numbers cannot be negative. This is because when multiplying two real numbers, the product will always be positive or zero.

4. Is there a formula for finding the maximum value of the product of two real numbers?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the maximum value of the product of two real numbers. It is given by the equation: max product = (x + y)/2 + (x - y)^2/4, where x and y are the two real numbers being multiplied.

5. Can the maximum value of the product of two real numbers be infinite?

No, the maximum value of the product of two real numbers cannot be infinite. This is because infinity is not a real number and therefore cannot be used in the calculation of the maximum product.