Understanding Atomic Units for Beginner Mathematicians

In summary: Kelvin temperature, your room would be at 1/3.1577e5*Kelvin or 273.15 degrees. In summary, my boss wants me to use atomic units for my computer program, but I don't understand what they are or how to use them. I tried googling them, but all the articles I found just didn't make any sense. I would appreciate if someone could help me out.
brydustin
Hi, I know nearly nothing about physics, I'm a mathematician working on a computer program.
Anyway, I have to write a program and my boss suggested that I use atomic units and that at the end of the program I can "scale up" to natural units if desired. I tried to read up on these units, but they intuitively make no sense they just seem artificial and I don't know how to handle it. For example, what are the atomic units for:
h_bar, length, time, temperature, and energy.
And do they really have "units" attached or are the unitless numbers -- I read somewhere that physicists do this to also blur the lines between time and lenght... all seems strange to me, any help, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you just use the standard units for all that? Meter, kelvin, joule, ETC.

Drakkith said:
Why can't you just use the standard units for all that? Meter, kelvin, joule, ETC.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Apparently, my boss just wants me to use atomic units.

brydustin said:
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Apparently, my boss just wants me to use atomic units.

Hrmm. Have you asked him why he wants you to do this? Would it somehow be easier in the long run?

qsa said:

Well, for example, how would you define a Kelvin temperature in atomic units?
For example, what would the room temperature be in atomic units. Of course, I've already seen this wikipedia article; but it means nothing to me.

To say that temperature is defined as:

T_A = {m_e e^4} / {\hbar^2 (4 \pi \epsilon_0)^2 k_B}

means a lot of nothing to me,because I don't see how the temperature can change if all the values in the equation are 1 anyway.

brydustin said:

means a lot of nothing to me,because I don't see how the temperature can change if all the values in the equation are 1 anyway.

That's how the temperature UNIT is defined in (Hartree) atomic units. So it is not supposed to change.

Hopefully someone else will jump in who is more used to Atomic Units. (I am more familiar with Planck Units). But in case no one immediately offers to help you, I will suggest that you can make it mean something to you, if you try. In all these systems of nature-based units the unit of temperature is simply equal to the unit of energy divided by the Boltzmann kB

So if you want to know in METRIC what is the atomicunit of energy, take what they say for the temp unit (in wikiped they give a Kelvin value) and multiply the metric value for the temp unit times the metric value of kB.

You could also look at what you wrote for the atomicunit of temperature, and multiply it by kB and that will give the atomicunit of energy, EA

EA = {m_e e^4} / {\hbar^2 (4 \pi \epsilon_0)^2 }

Now I guess you could look at that and try to make sense of it as a unit of energy.

It looks to me like it might be the electron mass multiplied by the speed of light squared or some such thing.

brydustin said:
Well, for example, how would you define a Kelvin temperature in atomic units?
For example, what would the room temperature be in atomic units. Of course, I've already seen this wikipedia article; but it means nothing to me.

from the table in the link, kelvin =1/3.1577e5 atomic unit of temp

1. What are atomic units in mathematics?

Atomic units are a system of natural units used in physics and mathematics to simplify calculations by setting certain fundamental physical constants to 1. This allows for easier and more efficient calculations in quantum mechanics and other fields of study.

2. How do atomic units differ from other systems of units?

Unlike other systems of units, such as the SI system, atomic units are based on natural units and do not rely on arbitrary human-defined measurements. This makes them more consistent and universal in their use.

3. What are the fundamental constants used in atomic units?

The fundamental constants used in atomic units are the speed of light, the reduced Planck constant, the electron charge, and the vacuum permittivity. These constants are set to 1 in atomic units, simplifying calculations and eliminating the need for conversion factors.

4. Why are atomic units important for beginner mathematicians?

Understanding atomic units is crucial for beginner mathematicians as it provides a strong foundation for studying quantum mechanics and other fields that involve atomic and subatomic particles. It also allows for more efficient and accurate calculations, making it an essential tool for mathematical analysis.

5. How can I convert between atomic units and other systems of units?

To convert between atomic units and other systems of units, you can use conversion factors or online conversion tools. However, it is important to note that atomic units are not meant to be converted to other units, but rather used as a standalone system for calculations.