How can I record my own audiobook for free?

• Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
In summary, There are many free audiobooks available on the website librivox.org, with a constantly expanding catalogue. This resource is particularly helpful for those who are learning English. The audio quality is excellent, and there are also books available in other languages such as German, Finnish, Japanese, and Latin. Additionally, users can contribute by recording their own audiobooks. Another website, audiobooksforfree.com, also offers a wide selection of public domain books, including Alice in Wonderland, which the speaker is currently downloading. They mention being intrigued by the Cheshire cat and plan to listen to part of the book later.
meteor
I discovered this amazing resource a couple of days ago
http://librivox.org/librivox-catalogue/

there are a lot of free audiobooks, and the list will increase. Great help for all of us that still keep struggling with the english language

I'm actually listening to the "Treasure Island", R. L. Stevenson, though I had read it in spanish a years ago. The quality of the recording is very good

There are also a good deal in other idioms such german, finnish, japanese or latin. And it's possible to collaborate by recording your own audiobook!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice! Public domain books so it is legal, I'm downloading Alice in Wonderland right now :biggrin:

Monique said:
Nice! Public domain books so it is legal, I'm downloading Alice in Wonderland right now :biggrin:

i noticed that there're a lot more here
http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/screen_main.asp

Alice in Wonderland, never got around to read it, maybe I'll hear a part of it later. It always intrigued me the Cheshire cat, the one that disappears leaving only its grin

1. How do I prepare my voice for recording an audiobook?

The most important preparation for recording an audiobook is to warm up your voice before each recording session. This can include vocal exercises, drinking plenty of water, and avoiding dairy or caffeine. It is also important to find a quiet and comfortable recording space to minimize background noise.

2. What equipment do I need to record my own audiobook?

To record your own audiobook, you will need a good quality microphone, a recording software (such as Audacity or GarageBand), and headphones for monitoring your recordings. It is also recommended to have a pop filter to reduce plosives and a soundproofing setup to improve audio quality.

3. How long does it take to record an audiobook?

This can vary depending on the length of the book, the complexity of the text, and your level of experience. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-4 hours to record and edit one hour of finished audio. It is important to take breaks and not strain your voice during the recording process.

4. Do I need to have acting experience to record an audiobook?

While having acting experience can certainly be helpful, it is not a requirement for recording an audiobook. The most important skill is being able to read and speak clearly and fluently. It is also important to be able to convey emotion and tone in your voice to bring the text to life.

5. How do I edit and produce my audiobook recordings?

Editing and producing your audiobook recordings can be done using software such as Audacity or GarageBand. This involves removing any mistakes or background noise, adding in music or sound effects, and adjusting the overall sound quality. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of audio editing and production techniques, or to hire a professional if needed.