The instability of Rutherford's atomic model

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of electrons orbiting around a central nucleus and the potential energy loss due to electromagnetic radiation. The question is how to calculate the time it takes for the electron to spiral into the nucleus, given the rate of energy loss and the initial electron-nucleus distance. The equation for power loss is provided, but the speaker is unsure of how to proceed with the calculations. They suggest using a differential equation and the Bohr formula for energy in terms of radius. The speaker also shares their own analysis and calculation, but questions if it is the correct approach.
GuitarDean
I understand Rutherford proposed that electrons orbit around a central nucleus. However, since accelerating charges produce electromagnetic radiation, the orbiting electron should lose energy via E&M and spiral into the nucleus.

But my question is: How do I calculate the time it takes for the electron to spiral into the nucleus, given the rate of energy loss (as a function of acceleration) and the initial electron-nucleus distance?

The power loss equation is: P = (e^2 a^2 ) / (6 pi epsilon c^3)

So far I've thought of calculating the initial energy of the system and integrating the power, and then equating the lost energy to the initial energy; however the final energy is negative inifinity, so this doesn't seem to work.

Algebraic manipulation of circular motion equations didn't get me anywhere either; I'm not really sure how else to proceed now.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a differential equation for the radius R.
The P you give is dE/dt.
Use the Bohr formula for E in terms of R, and use a=v^2/R.

I realized a mistake in my earlier analysis; when the electron enters the nucleus, r is not 0 but rather on the order or 10^-14 - this means when the electron enters the nucleus, the electric potential energy does not diverge to negtive inifity like I first thought - so I integrated P from initial r to the nucleus radius and found the total energy loss.

Then I found the average power loss by dividing the power integral by the interval I integrated over (r final - r initial); for the hydrogen atom I came up with time = 10^-9 which seems about right.

Does my analysis make sense though? I haven't had much experience with in this particular part of physics and I'm not sure if I just came up with a reasonable answer by a wrong route.

Your approach is probably good for an approximation, but is not correct for getting the desired value.

1. What was Rutherford's atomic model?

Rutherford's atomic model, also known as the planetary model, proposed that atoms consist of a small, positively charged nucleus surrounded by orbiting negatively charged electrons.

2. Why was Rutherford's atomic model unstable?

Rutherford's model was unstable because according to classical physics, the electrons should have continuously lost energy and spiraled into the nucleus, resulting in a collapse of the atom.

3. How did the discovery of subatomic particles challenge Rutherford's atomic model?

The discovery of subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons, showed that the nucleus was not a single, positively charged particle, but rather made up of smaller particles. This challenged Rutherford's model, as it did not account for the existence of these particles.

4. What experiments led to the rejection of Rutherford's atomic model?

The experiments conducted by Hans Geiger and Ernest Marsden, known as the gold foil experiment, led to the rejection of Rutherford's atomic model. The results of the experiment showed that most of the alpha particles passed through the gold foil, but some were deflected at large angles, indicating the presence of a concentrated, positively charged nucleus.

5. How did the Bohr model improve upon Rutherford's atomic model?

The Bohr model, proposed by Niels Bohr, incorporated the idea of quantized energy levels for electrons, which explained why the electrons did not lose energy and spiral into the nucleus. This model also accounted for the existence of multiple electron shells within the atom, solving the instability issue of Rutherford's model.