Calculating Normal Force on a Sliding Child - Homework Solution

• Thread starter linnus
  • Start date
In summary, "should be simple problems" are tasks that initially seem easy to solve but may have underlying complexities. They are important for scientific research as they can reveal hidden insights and help scientists understand systems or processes. Scientists can identify these problems by critically examining the task and seeking input from other experts. Common challenges in solving "should be simple problems" include unexpected variables, unreliable data, and cognitive biases. To effectively approach and solve these problems, scientists can break them down, collaborate with others, and consider multiple perspectives.
linnus

Homework Statement

A 22.0 kg child slides down a slide that makes a 37.0° angle with the horizontal. What is the magnitude of the normal force that the slide exerts on the child?

Homework Equations

Fnormal= mg cos (x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnormal= 22.0kg(-9.80m/s^2) (cos 37)= 172N...but that's not right

I'm so confused..thanks for helping

Physics news on Phys.org
frictionless?

that's the value i got.

ah, I see I didn't read the question carefully enough @_@ I put -172N for the answer instead of 172. Thanks!

FAQ: Calculating Normal Force on a Sliding Child - Homework Solution

What is a "should be simple problem"?

A "should be simple problem" is a problem or task that appears to be straightforward and easy to solve, but may have underlying complexities or difficulties that make it more challenging than expected.

Why are "should be simple problems" important for scientific research?

"Should be simple problems" are important for scientific research because they can reveal hidden complexities and help scientists understand how systems or processes truly work. By solving these problems, scientists can gain valuable insights and make new discoveries.

How can scientists identify "should be simple problems"?

Scientists can identify "should be simple problems" by critically examining a research question or task and considering what factors may make it more complex than initially thought. They can also consult with other experts in the field for their insights and perspectives.

What are some common challenges encountered when solving "should be simple problems"?

Some common challenges encountered when solving "should be simple problems" include unexpected variables or factors, incomplete or unreliable data, and limitations of current technology or methods. Additionally, cognitive biases and assumptions can also hinder problem-solving.

How can scientists effectively approach and solve "should be simple problems"?

To effectively approach and solve "should be simple problems", scientists can break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and systematically test and analyze each component. They can also collaborate with colleagues and consider multiple perspectives to gain a comprehensive understanding of the problem.

Back