An Eskimo child sliding down an igloo

In summary, the child will slide off the slide when the centripetal force is greater than the normal force.
ChessEnthusiast

Homework Statement

A child of an Eskimo decided to slide down an igloo. The igloo looks like a hemisphere with radius R. When will the child fall off the slide?

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

There are only two forces acting on the child - the force of gravity and the force of friction. I assume that in any given point the child is in fact sliding down a line - tangent to the circle. Therefore, the forces are:
$$F_n = mg \cos(\theta) - \mbox{normal to the igloo} \\ F_t = mg \sin(\theta) - \mbox{tangent to the circle} \\ F_f = \mu mg \cos(\theta) - \mbox{friction}$$
$$\overrightarrow{F_n} + \overrightarrow{F_t} = m \overrightarrow{g}$$

Now, I am not sure about this but the normal force (the component of the force of gravity) seems to function as the centripetal force, therefore
this is how I would proceed with solving this problem: <br>
I would use the tangent force to express velocity of the child as function of time. Then, I would compare the normal force and the centripetal force to find the time when the required centripetal force will be larger than the normal force - then, the child will fall off.

Is this a correct way to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChessEnthusiast said:
There are only two forces acting on the child
Yes

ChessEnthusiast said:
the force of gravity and the force of friction
No. Assume there is no friction

BvU said:
No. Assume there is no friction
Why so?
The second (relatively third) is the force of reaction due to the 3rd law of motion.

The second is the normal force the iglo exerts on the child - it does not accelerate "inward", but follows the surface if the igloo, until...

Does the fact that the child follows the circular surface of the igloo mean that there is no centripetal acceleration?

The child follows a circular trajectory, so there must be a centripetal force. The provider ?

The radial component of the force of gravity?

Correct

Likes ChessEnthusiast
As you said, I have decided to ignore friction. Therefore I can express acceleration and velocity as function of the angle:
$$a(\theta) = g \sin (\theta)$$
$$v(\theta) = -g \cos(\theta)$$
The radial component of the force of gravity is the centripetal force:
$$\frac{m(v(\theta))^2}{R} = mg \cos(\theta)$$
Thus
$$cos(\theta) = \frac{R}{g}$$
Correct?
Also, I can solve for theta with respect to x and R, since
$$x^2 + y^2 = R^2 \Longrightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = - \frac{x}{y}$$

ChessEnthusiast said:
The radial component of the force of gravity is the centripetal force
Not when e.g. ##\theta = 0 ## !

Likes ChessEnthusiast
Do we really need to care about this initial stage when $$\theta = 0$$? If so, where did my reasoning go wrong?

ChessEnthusiast said:
Do we really need to care about this initial stage when
θ=0​
Not really. It is a so-called unstable equilibrium position.
But: It is important to realize the radial gravity component is initially greater than the force that is required to follow a circular trajectory. It is only equal to that at the point where the kid leaves the surface of the igloo.

There are a few problems with post #9: ##
v(\theta) = -g \cos(\theta)## ?? Wrong dimension. Then ##cos(\theta) = \frac{R}{g}##: same thing...not to mention that the left side should not be independent of time !

Likes ChessEnthusiast
I have spent some more time thinking about my approach and I think that I am going to have a hard time trying to solve it this way.
Namely, the function of angle with respect to time depends on the angle...:
$$\theta(t) = \frac{g}{R} \sin(\theta(t))$$
I have decided to try something different, namely, we know that the speed our object has to reach is defined by the radial component of the force of gravity, namely
$$mg\cos(\theta) = m \frac{v^2}{R} \Rightarrow v^2 = Rg \cos(\theta)$$
Therefore, we need to reach this speed. <br>
I assume to friction, therefore <br>
$$mgR = \frac{1}{2}m(Rg \cos(\theta)) + mgh$$
where h is the height on which the child will leave the surface of the igloo. <br>
What about this approach?

ChessEnthusiast said:
I have spent some more time thinking about my approach and I think that I am going to have a hard time trying to solve it this way.
Namely, the function of angle with respect to time depends on the angle...:
$$\theta(t) = \frac{g}{R} \sin(\theta(t))$$
I have decided to try something different, namely, we know that the speed our object has to reach is defined by the radial component of the force of gravity, namely
$$mg\cos(\theta) = m \frac{v^2}{R} \Rightarrow v^2 = Rg \cos(\theta)$$
Therefore, we need to reach this speed. <br>
I assume to friction, therefore <br>
where h is the height on which the child will leave the surface of the igloo. <br>
What about this approach?

So far, so good. Although you've forgotten to square the speed in your energy equation.

Likes ChessEnthusiast
I haven't, $$[Rg] = \frac{meters^2}{seconds^2}$$

Likes PeroK
So, let's say that I want to continue solving this. I have arrived at this equation:
$$R = \frac{1}{2}R \cos(\theta) + h$$

This equation contains two variables. Is there a better way of disposing of one of them than using this identity:
$$\frac{dy}{dx} = - \frac{x}{y}$$?

ChessEnthusiast said:
So, let's say that I want to continue solving this. I have arrived at this equation:
$$R = \frac{1}{2}R \cos(\theta) + h$$

This equation contains two variables. Is there a better way of disposing of one of them than using this identity:
$$\frac{dy}{dx} = - \frac{x}{y}$$?

What answer are you looking for, ##h## or ##\theta##? In either case, don't you have enough equations?

Note that the time is indeterminate for this problem. You might like to think why this is the case.

Likes ChessEnthusiast
ChessEnthusiast said:
Yes. Make a drawing and express ##h## in terms of ##R## and ##\theta##. Then the radius drops out. In short, the angle of separation is independent of the size of the igloo.

Likes ChessEnthusiast

1. How do Eskimo children slide down an igloo?

Eskimo children slide down an igloo by sitting on a piece of animal hide or a sled and pushing off from the top of the igloo. They use their hands and feet to steer and control their speed.

2. Is sliding down an igloo a common activity for Eskimo children?

Yes, sliding down an igloo is a common activity for Eskimo children. It is a fun and exciting way for them to play and explore their surroundings in the wintertime.

3. What materials are used to build an igloo?

An igloo is typically built using blocks of compacted snow. The snow is usually carved and shaped to create a dome-shaped structure. Sometimes, animal hides or furs are used to insulate the igloo and keep it warm.

4. Are there any dangers associated with sliding down an igloo?

Sliding down an igloo can be dangerous if the child is not supervised or if the igloo is not built properly. The child could fall off the sled or lose control, potentially resulting in injury. It is important for parents or guardians to ensure the safety of the child while engaging in this activity.

5. What other activities do Eskimo children do in the winter?

Eskimo children engage in a variety of activities during the winter, including ice fishing, building snow forts, and playing traditional games. They also help their families with chores and tasks such as gathering firewood and hunting.