Need help finding unique resistor combinations

In summary: If you have more than 17, then you have to decide which ones to leave out.In summary, the problem is to find 17 unique combinations of resistors to work with given voltage and current values. The resistors available are 3 ohm, 5 ohm, and 10 ohm and can be used in parallel or series. A table of all possible combinations must be created and the equivalent resistances calculated to determine which combinations fit the given voltage and current values. If more than 17 combinations are found, a decision must be made on which ones to leave out.
tiger00
Need help finding unique resistor combinations!

Homework Statement

Amps = 30, 45, 60, 70
Voltage = 600 to 700, 600 to 800, 400 to 600
I have three typres of resistors 3 ohm, 5 ohm, 10 ohm
I have to find 17 combinations of resistors to work with the given amps and volts. The resistors all have to be differnet values(you can't use 2-3 ohm resistors, 2-5 ohm resistors or 2-10 ohm resistors.) The resistors can be in parallel or in a series.

Homework Equations

I=V/R

Physics news on Phys.org

tiger00 said:

Homework Statement

Amps = 30, 45, 60, 70
Voltage = 600 to 700, 600 to 800, 400 to 600
I have three typres of resistors 3 ohm, 5 ohm, 10 ohm
I have to find 17 combinations of resistors to work with the given amps and volts. The resistors all have to be differnet values(you can't use 2-3 ohm resistors, 2-5 ohm resistors or 2-10 ohm resistors.) The resistors can be in parallel or in a series.

Homework Equations

I=V/R

Welcome to PF.

Sorry, I don't really understand your problem. What 17 combinations? I only see 12 combinations of voltage ranges and currents. Maybe if you could supply more information?

That is my issue too...the teacher gave us the three different voltage ranges, the 4 different amperages, and we were told that we can use 3, 5, and 10 ohm resistors. She said that we have to find 17 combinations of using the resistors. Ex. I could use a 3,5,10 ohm resistor one time in a series. I could use a 3,5,10 the next time in parallel...as long as the I=V/R hold true...

tiger00 said:
That is my issue too...the teacher gave us the three different voltage ranges, the 4 different amperages, and we were told that we can use 3, 5, and 10 ohm resistors. She said that we have to find 17 combinations of using the resistors. Ex. I could use a 3,5,10 ohm resistor one time in a series. I could use a 3,5,10 the next time in parallel...as long as the I=V/R hold true...

In that case then just make a table of all the resistor combinations you can make. You have 3 single resistors alone, you have 3 pairs in ||, 3 pairs in series alone, you have 3 more with 1 in || 2 in series, etc. Basically all combinations possible.

Then figure the equivalent resistances that each makes, and see which ones fit which V and I.

FAQ: Need help finding unique resistor combinations

1. How do I determine the appropriate resistor combination for my circuit?

To determine the appropriate resistor combination, you will need to know the desired voltage, current, and resistance values for your circuit. Then, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate the necessary resistance. You can also use a resistor calculator or consult a resistor color code chart to find the right combination.

2. Are there any common resistor combinations that can be used in most circuits?

Yes, there are common resistor combinations such as 10Ω, 100Ω, 1kΩ, 10kΩ, and 100kΩ that are commonly used in circuits. These values are readily available and can be easily substituted for higher or lower values if needed.

3. Can I use multiple resistors in series or parallel to achieve a specific resistance value?

Yes, resistors can be connected in series or parallel to achieve a specific resistance value. In series, the resistors are connected end-to-end, and their resistance values are added together. In parallel, the resistors are connected side-by-side, and their combined resistance is calculated using a formula or a calculator.

4. How do I know which resistor combination is the most efficient for my circuit?

The most efficient resistor combination will depend on the specific circuit and its requirements. To determine the most efficient combination, you will need to consider factors such as power dissipation, voltage drop, and cost. Using a resistor calculator or consulting with a professional can help you find the best combination for your circuit.

5. What are some alternative ways to achieve specific resistance values without using resistors?

There are alternative ways to achieve specific resistance values, such as using potentiometers, rheostats, or variable resistors. These components allow you to adjust the resistance value to a desired level. However, these options may not be suitable for all circuits and may have limitations in terms of power handling and accuracy.

Back