Finding Maximum Voltage of Resistors

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum voltage that can be applied to a network consisting of parallel and series resistors with given values and power ratings. Using the equations for parallel resistors and power, the equivalent resistance is calculated to be 2751.086957 Ohms. However, the final calculation for the maximum voltage is incorrect and further review is needed to find the correct answer.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

A 2.44-kΩ and a 4.92-kΩ resistor are connected in parallel; this combination is connected in series with a 1.12-kΩ resistor. If each resistor is rated at 1/2 W, what is the maximum voltage that can be applied across the whole network?

Homework Equations

P=V^2/Req
V=I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the equivalent resistance.
I converted the kΩ to Ω and used the equation for parallel resistors
1/R1,R2 = (1/R1)+(1/R2) = 1/2440 + 1/4920 = 6.1308E-4
R1,2 = 1/6.1308E-4 = 1631.086957 Ohms
then R123 = R1,2+R3 = 1631.086957+1120 = 2751.086957 Ohms
Then I used P=V^2/Req
1/2=V^2/2751.086957
V=23.6643 V (which should be the maximum voltage since parallel resistors have the same voltage throughout)
But it's wrong and I'm not sure where I messed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your final calculation. I get an answer of 37.09 using 1/2 = V^2/2751.086957.

Oh that was a calculation error that I made, say it is 37.0883 V but that isn't the right answer. Am I missing some sort of equation for the maximum voltage once I figure out the V from P=V^2/R ?

Related to Finding Maximum Voltage of Resistors

1. What is the maximum voltage that a resistor can handle?

The maximum voltage that a resistor can handle depends on its power rating. A typical resistor can handle between 1/8 watt to 1 watt. This means that the maximum voltage it can handle will be the square root of its power rating multiplied by its resistance in ohms. For example, a 1/8 watt resistor with a resistance of 100 ohms can handle a maximum voltage of approximately 3.5 volts.

2. How can I calculate the maximum voltage of a resistor?

To calculate the maximum voltage of a resistor, you need to know its power rating and resistance. You can use the formula P=V^2/R, where P is the power rating in watts, V is the maximum voltage, and R is the resistance in ohms. Rearranging the formula, you can also calculate V by taking the square root of the product of P and R.

3. Can a resistor handle a voltage higher than its maximum rating?

No, a resistor should not be operated at a voltage higher than its maximum rating. Doing so can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially fail. It is important to choose a resistor with a suitable power rating for the voltage and current it will be subjected to.

4. What happens if I exceed the maximum voltage of a resistor?

If you exceed the maximum voltage of a resistor, it will experience a phenomenon called voltage breakdown. This means that the insulation on the resistor will break down, causing a sudden increase in current flow. This can lead to the resistor overheating and potentially causing damage to other components in the circuit.

5. Are there any other factors besides voltage that can affect the maximum voltage of a resistor?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the maximum voltage of a resistor. These include the ambient temperature, the type of resistor (e.g. carbon composition, metal film, etc.), and the type of circuit it is used in (e.g. AC or DC). It is important to consider these factors when choosing a resistor for a specific application.