What are some household items capable of gaining an electric charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses conducting a lab on electrostatics and finding materials to use. The speaker plans to create an electrostatic series by rubbing a reference material and observing reactions with other materials. The best materials found so far are pop cans, balloons, and plastic wrap, but the speaker is also looking for other suggestions, such as paper, hair, glass, and wool. The conversation ends with a recommendation to look up triboelectricity.
ctamasi
Hey. I'm just doing a lab an electrostatics and my coursebook suggests a number of materials to use, however, I'm not really getting clear reactions with them.

The purpose of the lab is to create an electrostatic series. I first have to establish a reference material; I chose cellophane or a balloon because of their weight and therefore ease of noticing a reaction.

Then I have to rub the reference material in wool, and since polymers rubbed in wool acquire a negative charge, therefore are more electronegative than wool, I can determine the remainder of materials as being electropositive or electronegative by the level of attraction or repulsion experienced when another material is brough close to the reference material.

The best materials I've found are pop cans, balloons and plastic wrap. What are some other good materials to use?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
paper, hair, glass, wool ... look up triboelectricity.

Awesome! Thanks so much, I'll look that up.

1. What are some household items that can create static electricity?

Common household items that can create static electricity include balloons, combs, wool or synthetic fiber clothing, and rubber-soled shoes. These items are able to gain an electric charge through the rubbing or friction between two materials.

2. Why do some household items create static electricity?

Static electricity is created when two materials with different levels of electron transfer come into contact with each other. When one material has a higher number of electrons compared to the other, the excess electrons can transfer to the other material, resulting in one material becoming negatively charged and the other becoming positively charged.

3. How can I tell if a household item has an electric charge?

You can tell if a household item has an electric charge by observing if it attracts small objects, such as paper or hair, when brought close to them. You may also feel a small shock or see a spark when touching the charged item.

4. Can household items lose their static electricity?

Yes, household items can lose their static electricity over time. This can happen through grounding, where the excess electrons are transferred back to the ground, or through neutralization, where the charged item comes into contact with an object with an opposite charge.

5. Are there any safety concerns with household items that can create static electricity?

While static electricity may not be harmful to most household items, it can pose a risk when dealing with flammable materials or in certain environments, such as near gas pumps. It is important to properly ground yourself and any charged items to avoid any potential safety hazards.