First Order Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a word problem involving compound interest and provides an equation (S(t) = (k/r)(e^rt - 1)) to calculate the value of r using given values of k, t, and S(t). It is noted that the equation cannot be solved using simple algebra and functions and must be solved numerically. The speaker suggests using a numerical technique by refining a guess and closing in on the answer, as the problem is not solvable in a simple way.
EV33
Ok so we are given a word problem discussing compound interest. In the first part of the question, we are given the equation:
S(t) = (k/r)(e^rt -1)
The next thing we are asked to do is calculate the value of r are given values of k, t, and
S(t). The given values are k = 2000, t = 40, S(t) = 10^6.
Plugging the values into this equation, you get:
10^6 = (2000/r)(e^40r - 1)

So far I have divided both sides by 2000 so that the equation is now:
500 = (1/r)(e^40r -1)

However now I can not figure out how to solve the equation for r with the two locations of the r's in the problem. Please help.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't solve that using algebra and simple functions. You'll have to solve it numerically. Or graph the function and figure out where it crosses 500. I'd concentrate near small numbers like r=0.01.

What do you mean by solving it numerically?

I mean if f(r)=(2000/r)(e^40r - 1) if I put r=0.01, I get 98364.93. If I put r=0.1 I get 1071963.00. So the r such that f(r)=10^6 must be somewhere in between. Probably a lot closer to 0.1. Refine your guess and keep closing in on the answer. That's a 'numerical technique'. The problem doesn't isn't solvable in any simple way. You'll have to settle for an approximation.

FAQ: First Order Differential Equation

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its first derivative. It can also be represented as dy/dx = f(x), where y is the unknown function and f(x) is a known function.

2. What is the difference between a first order and a higher order differential equation?

A first order differential equation involves the first derivative of the unknown function, while a higher order differential equation involves the second or higher derivatives. For example, a second order differential equation can be represented as d^2y/dx^2 = f(x).

3. What is the general solution of a first order differential equation?

The general solution of a first order differential equation is a family of solutions that satisfy the equation. It includes all possible solutions with an arbitrary constant, which can be determined by applying initial conditions.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial first order differential equation?

An ordinary first order differential equation involves only one independent variable, usually represented as x. A partial first order differential equation involves multiple independent variables, usually represented as x and y.

5. How are first order differential equations used in real life?

First order differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and describe natural phenomena. They are particularly useful in physics, chemistry, biology, and economics to understand and predict the behavior of systems in these disciplines.

Back