Finding the differential equation of motion

In summary: The differential equation of motion is y" + a*y' + b*y = F(t).The energy is conserved and equal to its initial value, ##E(r,\dot{r}) = E_0##.
dbeckam
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Summary:: Differential equation of motion, parabola

Hi. I've tried resolve this problem but I have two doubts. The first is about the differential equation of motion because I can't simplify it to the form y" + a*y' + b*y = F(t). I'm not sure if what I got is right. My second doubt is that I cannot solve part b. Thank you in advance for your help.

In part a I got this: r"(R^2 + r^2) + (r'^2)r + g*r*R = 0.

Problem:
A particle of mass m slides without friction along a fixed track in the form of a parabola. The equation of the parabola is y = (r^2)/(2R). R is a constant, r is the distance between O and Q, y is the vertical distance. Initial conditions: r(t=0) = r_0 and r'(t=0) = 0.

a) Find the differential equation of motion in terms of the variable r.
b) Find an expression for (r')^2 in function of r.
Untitled picture.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your equation of motion. The easiest way to find ##\dot{r}## is by considering the energy, which you should write as a function of ##r## and ##\dot{r}##. The energy is conserved and equal to its initial value, ##E(r,\dot{r}) = E_0##, which you can find from the initial conditions.

Likes dbeckam
dbeckam said:
I can't simplify it to the form y" + a*y' + b*y = F(t)
Why do you think it should be possible to simplify it to this form? This form is in essence a driven harmonic oscillator with a friction term.

Likes dbeckam
Orodruin said:
Why do you think it should be possible to simplify it to this form? This form is in essence a driven harmonic oscillator with a friction term.
Yes, I understand. Thanks!

ergospherical said:
I agree with your equation of motion. The easiest way to find ##\dot{r}## is by considering the energy, which you should write as a function of ##r## and ##\dot{r}##. The energy is conserved and equal to its initial value, ##E(r,\dot{r}) = E_0##, which you can find from the initial conditions.
I already resolved it. Thank you very much.

1. What is a differential equation of motion?

A differential equation of motion is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time. It is used to model the motion of objects in various physical systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and biological systems.

2. How is a differential equation of motion derived?

A differential equation of motion is derived by applying Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By setting up the equation and considering any external forces, we can obtain a differential equation that describes the motion of the object.

3. What are some common types of differential equations of motion?

Some common types of differential equations of motion include linear and nonlinear equations, first-order and second-order equations, and ordinary and partial differential equations. The specific type of equation used depends on the system being modeled and the level of complexity needed to accurately describe the motion.

4. How are differential equations of motion used in science?

Differential equations of motion are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to predict and understand the behavior of physical systems. They are also used to design and control systems, such as in the development of new technologies and products.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations of motion?

Differential equations of motion have numerous real-world applications, including predicting the trajectory of projectiles, designing control systems for airplanes and spacecraft, modeling the spread of diseases, and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions. They are also used in economic and financial models, weather forecasting, and many other areas of science and technology.