Is this a reliable way to measure an arc

In summary, measuring the outer and inner radii of a brass rod using a piece of string may not be accurate or reliable, especially if strict tolerances are required. A more accurate method could be measuring the volume or weight of the bent piece and calculating the length of an unbent rod with the same volume or weight. Using a graduated flexible curve may also provide more precise results.
camacru
I have a brass rod with a 90 degree bend. I want to measure the outer and inner radii by placing a piece of string along both of them, and then straightening the string out to determine the linear measurement. Is this an accurate method?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Reliable? Yes (depending on how well you keep the "string" on the line of the outer radius).

Accurate? No. At least not to the tolerances you stated in your previous post, if that's what you're getting at. But feel free to try. I'll bet you get a different measurement each time.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2411590&postcount=1

That's what I thought. What would be a more accurate method? I thought about using a graduated flexible curve...

Why don't you measure the volume of the bent piece (say, by submerging it underwater in a big graduated cylinder). Then calculate the length of an unbent rod with the same volume.

Or, if you know the density, simply calculate the length of unbent rod that has the same weight as your bent piece.

1. How do you measure an arc?

An arc can be measured using a variety of methods, including a protractor, a compass, or a measuring tape. The most accurate way to measure an arc is by using a protractor, as it is specifically designed for measuring angles.

2. Is using a protractor a reliable way to measure an arc?

Yes, using a protractor is a reliable way to measure an arc. Protractors are specifically designed for measuring angles and will provide the most accurate measurement of an arc.

3. Can a measuring tape be used to measure an arc?

Yes, a measuring tape can be used to measure an arc, but it may not be as accurate as using a protractor. Measuring tapes are typically designed for measuring length and may not have the precision needed for measuring angles.

4. Are there any other methods for measuring an arc?

Yes, in addition to using a protractor or measuring tape, a compass can also be used to measure an arc. This method involves drawing the arc with a compass and then measuring the resulting angle with a protractor.

5. How do I know if a measurement of an arc is reliable?

A measurement of an arc is considered reliable if it is consistent with other measurements taken using the same method. It is also important to ensure that the tool being used is accurate and properly calibrated.