Pressure at a centroi thermo fluids

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure at the centroid and the resulting force acting on a plate. The surface is a free liquid, specifically water, with a density of 1 x 10^3 kg/m^3. The formula used is l x e = y, where l represents length or depth, e represents the value of water, and y represents the pressure at the centroid. The calculated pressure is 50000 N/m^2, and to determine the force on the plate, the formula pressure x area is used, resulting in a force of 250 kN. The speaker is unsure if their calculations are correct.
donniemateno
ive got this q in my homework calculate the pressure at the centroid and hence the force acting plate. the surface is free liquid is water.
ive using a formula l x e = y
l being length or depth in this case
e being value of water which i found to be 1 x 10 to power of 3 kg/m3
y being the pressure at the centroid

so in my case that's 5 x 1x10powerof 3= 50000n/m2

the to work out force on the plate I've used
pressure x area

so 50000 x 5 = 250Kn

have i gone horribly wrong?? doesn't seem right to me

Physics news on Phys.org
image i forgot to upload

Attachments

• DSC00227.jpg
    DSC00227.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 431

What is pressure at a centroid in thermo fluids?

The pressure at a centroid in thermo fluids refers to the force per unit area exerted by the fluid at the centroid of a particular object or system. It is a measure of the internal forces within the fluid that are responsible for maintaining its equilibrium.

How is pressure at a centroid calculated?

The pressure at a centroid can be calculated by dividing the total force acting on the object or system by the area of the object at its centroid. This can be represented by the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

What factors affect pressure at a centroid in thermo fluids?

The pressure at a centroid in thermo fluids can be affected by various factors such as the density and viscosity of the fluid, the shape and size of the object, and the velocity of the fluid. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the pressure at the centroid.

How does pressure at a centroid differ from pressure at other points in a fluid?

The pressure at a centroid is not necessarily the same as the pressure at other points in a fluid. This is because the pressure at a centroid takes into account the distribution of forces within the fluid, while the pressure at other points only considers the force acting at that specific point.

Why is understanding pressure at a centroid important in thermo fluids?

Understanding pressure at a centroid is important in thermo fluids because it allows us to analyze the behavior of fluids and predict their response to external forces. It is also crucial in the design and operation of various systems and structures that involve fluid flow, such as pipelines, pumps, and turbines.