Step Response of an LTI system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the step response of an LTI system with the given parameters. One person suggests multiplying the system equation by 1/s to get the step response and then using the Laplace transform table to solve for the inverse transform. However, they run into some issues and ask for guidance. The other person confirms that their approach is correct and provides the expression for the step response, including the parameters and constants involved. They also suggest plugging in the given values to solve for the constants and obtain the final expression.
qwertydump
Hi lads, need help with this question from a signals and systems course.

LTI system is defined as follows

[tex] H(s) = \frac{1}{ s^2 - 2rs cos(theta) + r^2}[/tex]

where r = 20pi, theta = 1.47.

Find an expression for the step response of the system

I think what I should do is multiply H(s) by 1/s cos it's a step response

and then mix and match it with the laplace tables to get the inverse transform.

So my attempt was:

[tex]\frac{1}{s^{2}-2rs cos(th) + r^{2}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{s^{2}-2rscos(th)+r^{2}cos^{2}(th) + r^{2}- r^{2}cos^{2}(th)}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{(s-rcos(th))^{2}+r^{2}-r^{2}cos^{2}(th)}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{(s-rcos(th))^{2}+r^{2}(1-cos^{2}(th))}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{(s-rcos(th))^{2}+r^{2}sin^{2}(th) }[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{(s-rcos(th))^{2}+(rsin(th))^{2}}[/tex]

This was great cos then I could match it to a transform on my laplace transform table

this one:

[tex]\frac{A(s+a) + Bw}{(s+a)^{2}+w^{2}}[/tex]

= [tex] e^{-at}[Acos(wt)+Bsin(wt)] [/tex]

but the problem was that I realized that A & B would be zero and i'd get zero as a result and also I hadn't multiplied my equation by 1/s and that screws up everything. I haven't a clue what else to do then.

so ... am I approching this thing all wrong?

any guidance or help very much appreciated

please bear in mind that I don't really know if I should be trying to do the laplace transform or what.

Berty

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are approaching the problem correctly. You need to multiply your equation with 1/s in order to get the step response. The expression for the step response is then: e^{-at}[Acos(wt)+Bsin(wt)] where A and B are constants that depend on r and theta, and a and w are parameters related to r and theta as follows: a = r cos(theta) w = r sin(theta) You can then plug in the values of r and theta to solve for A and B, and then you will have the expression for the step response.

1. What is the definition of a step response of an LTI system?

The step response of an LTI (Linear Time-Invariant) system is the output of the system when a unit step input is applied. A unit step input is a signal that starts at 0 and immediately jumps to 1. The step response is a measure of the system's behavior and characteristics, such as stability, settling time, and steady-state error.

2. How is the step response of an LTI system typically represented?

The step response of an LTI system is typically represented graphically as a plot of the output of the system over time. The x-axis represents time, and the y-axis represents the output of the system. The shape of the plot can provide information about the system's behavior, such as its rise time, settling time, and steady-state value.

3. What is the difference between a step response and an impulse response?

The step response and the impulse response are both measures of the behavior of an LTI system. The impulse response is the output of the system when a brief impulse input is applied, while the step response is the output when a unit step input is applied. The impulse response is typically used to describe the system's dynamics, while the step response is used to analyze its steady-state behavior.

4. What is the significance of the settling time in the step response of an LTI system?

The settling time is the time it takes for the system's output to reach and stay within a certain percentage of its steady-state value. It is an important measure of the system's performance and determines how quickly the system reaches its steady-state behavior. A shorter settling time indicates a faster and more accurate response of the system.

5. How is the step response of an LTI system affected by system parameters?

The step response of an LTI system is affected by various parameters such as the system's transfer function, initial conditions, and input signal. The transfer function represents the relationship between the input and output of the system and can affect the shape of the step response. The initial conditions, such as the initial state of the system, can also impact the step response. Additionally, the type and magnitude of the input signal can affect the system's response.