Laser Physics: Second Harmonic Generation

In summary: Thanks, but how do we know thatIn summary, P_{2\omega}=\beta E_\omega^2 and I_{\2\omega}=P_{2\omega}^2/2 \epsilon_{2\omega} =\beta ^2 /\epsilon_{2\omega} E_\omega^4\propto I_\omega^2 as I_\omega=E^2_\omega/2 \epsilon_\omega.Thanks, but how do we know thatI_{\2\omega}=P_{2\omega}^
Niles
Hi

I was told that I is proportional to Iω2. It does not say so in my book. How is it one can easily see that it is the case?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [tex]P_{2\omega}=\beta E_\omega^2 [/tex] and [tex]I_{\2\omega}=P_{2\omega}^2/2 \epsilon_{2\omega} =\beta ^2 /\epsilon_{2\omega} E_\omega^4\propto I_\omega^2[/tex] as [tex] I_\omega=E^2_\omega/2 \epsilon_\omega [/tex].

Thanks, but how do we know that

[tex]
I_{\2\omega}=P_{2\omega}^2/2 \epsilon_{2\omega}
[/tex]

?

Hm, I have been maybe a bit too floppy. What I had in mind is [tex]I=\epsilon E^2/2=D^2/2 \epsilon [/tex]. So you have to express D in terms of P, i.e., [tex]P=(\epsilon -\epsilon_0)E=\chi E [/tex] to get [tex] I=\epsilon P^2/2 \chi^2[/tex].

The relation

[tex]
P=\chi E
[/tex]

only holds for linear materials. Isn't it wrong to use it to show what we are after?

Once you solve for the polarization at 2w (which is proportional to Iw), you then need to solve the driven wave equation with the nonlinear polarization as the source term. I can't tell you how it's done off the top of my head, but you can see it in Boyd's nonlinear optics for one(also Rick Trebino's FROG book, I think any book that goes into nonlinear optics will have this). I've never gone through it exactly, but I believe the slowly varying envelope approximation is made and other than that it's just some math which ends up showing that E(2w) is proportional to P(2w). And therefore I(2w) is proportional to I(w)^2.

Niles said:
The relation

[tex]
P=\chi E
[/tex]

only holds for linear materials. Isn't it wrong to use it to show what we are after?
Yes, but you can use this relation once the wave has left the zone where light of frequency omega is present.

johng23 said:
Once you solve for the polarization at 2w (which is proportional to Iw), you then need to solve the driven wave equation with the nonlinear polarization as the source term. I can't tell you how it's done off the top of my head, but you can see it in Boyd's nonlinear optics for one(also Rick Trebino's FROG book, I think any book that goes into nonlinear optics will have this). I've never gone through it exactly, but I believe the slowly varying envelope approximation is made and other than that it's just some math which ends up showing that E(2w) is proportional to P(2w). And therefore I(2w) is proportional to I(w)^2.

Thanks, I will have to find the Boyd book at my library. It looks good.

DrDu said:
Yes, but you can use this relation once the wave has left the zone where light of frequency omega is present.

I see. Is this equivalent of saying that the generated higher-harmonic wave behaves linearly in the material, because of low intensity, and also - possibly - because its frequency is too far off resonance?

You can expand P in a Taylor's series in terms of powers of E. Coefficients are linear and nonlinear susceptibility terms.

[tex]P=\chi_1 E+\chi_2 E^2+...[/tex]

The intensity of the second order term [tex]I_2=|P_2|^2[/tex] is proportional to [tex]I_1^2=|E|^4[/tex]

Related to Laser Physics: Second Harmonic Generation

1. What is Second Harmonic Generation (SHG)?

Second Harmonic Generation (SHG) is a nonlinear optical process in which two photons of the same frequency combine to produce a new photon with twice the energy and half the wavelength. This process occurs in materials with noncentrosymmetric crystal structures, such as certain types of crystals and glasses.

2. How is SHG used in laser physics?

In laser physics, SHG is used to generate laser light with shorter wavelengths than the original laser source. This is achieved by passing the laser light through a nonlinear crystal, where the SHG process occurs and produces a new beam with double the frequency and half the wavelength of the original beam.

3. What are the advantages of using SHG in lasers?

SHG allows for the production of laser light with shorter wavelengths, which can be useful in applications such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and optical data storage. It also produces light with higher energy and greater coherence, making it useful for applications that require high intensity and precision.

4. What are the limitations of SHG in laser physics?

One limitation of SHG is that it only works in materials with noncentrosymmetric crystal structures. This restricts the types of materials that can be used for SHG, and also limits the range of wavelengths that can be produced. Additionally, SHG is a relatively weak process, so it requires high-intensity laser light to be effective.

5. What are some real-world applications of SHG in laser physics?

SHG has a wide range of applications in various fields, including biomedical imaging, telecommunications, and materials processing. It is used in techniques such as multiphoton microscopy and second harmonic generation imaging to produce high-resolution images of biological tissues. In telecommunications, SHG is used to convert infrared light to visible light for fiber-optic communications. It is also used in laser cutting and welding processes for precise and efficient material processing.