Acceleration vector exercise (coordinate system)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving rf-ri and subtracting across. One person initially thought the answer was 0 mi + 25mj but realizes it is incorrect and asks for verification on choice a. Another person gives advice on how to approach multiple choice questions and explains that choice a is correct. They also mention the importance of understanding the problem rather than just playing the multiple choice game.
sdadksajd

Homework Statement

Please read the attachment =)

All the formulas I was given are also on a separate attachment

I initially thought the answer was the last one because I did rf-ri and subtracted across and got 0 mi + 25mj but I am not sure =[

Homework Statement

Attachments

• 1512.jpg
    1512.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 377
  • frmulas.jpg
    frmulas.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 322
Physics news on Phys.org
sdadksajd said:

Homework Statement

Please read the attachment =)

All the formulas I was given are also on a separate attachment

I initially thought the answer was the last one because I did rf-ri and subtracted across and got 0 mi + 25mj but I am not sure =[

Homework Statement

rf-ri sounds like a good idea, but 0 mi + 25mj isn't the answer to that.

ri has a 50mi term
rf has a -50mi term

so when you subtract them the answer will not be zero [since they are different]

Oh thanks for the much needed advice. I redid the problem and got the first choice as my answer which was from subtracting -25 from 25 and 125 from 100. Can anyone verify that choice a is correct =[]

sdadksajd said:
Oh thanks for the much needed advice. I redid the problem and got the first choice as my answer which was from subtracting -25 from 25 and 125 from 100. Can anyone verify that choice a is correct =[]

My previous post should have said 25mi and -25mi - you can't look at "pictures" and respond at the same time.

While the first option is correct - the description of what you did is all backwards.

You actually subtracted 25 from -25, and subtracted 100 from 125.

Thanks a ton peter I understand now :)

sdadksajd said:

By the way: applying the logic of multiple choice questions leads you to this answer.

If you consider just the i components.

If you add them [or subtract poorly], you get 0i [only one option has this].

If you subtract the second from the first you get 50i [only one option has this]

If you subtract the first from the second you get -50i [two options have this]

If the answer was not one of the -50i ... examples, you would not even have to consider the j component - possible but unlikely.

consider the j component. when you subtract here, you either get 25j or -25j

only one of those possibilities is offered - and there is your answer!

Playing the multiple choice game rather than understanding the problem is not a recommended technique - but if all else has failed it is useful.
Remember: with a normal problem you are trying to find the answer; with a multiple choice question you are only trying to identify which of the options is the answer.

1. What is an acceleration vector?

An acceleration vector is a quantity that represents the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It includes both the magnitude and direction of the object's acceleration.

2. What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a way of representing and measuring positions and directions in space. It is typically defined by a set of axes and a reference point, and can be used to describe the location of objects or the motion of objects within that space.

3. How do you calculate acceleration using a coordinate system?

To calculate acceleration using a coordinate system, you need to measure the change in velocity of an object over a specific time interval and divide it by that time interval. This will give you the average acceleration. To find the acceleration vector, you also need to know the direction in which the object is accelerating.

4. What are the different types of acceleration?

The two main types of acceleration are linear acceleration, which is a change in an object's speed or velocity, and angular acceleration, which is a change in an object's rotational speed or velocity. Other types of acceleration include centripetal acceleration, which is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, and tangential acceleration, which is the acceleration along the tangent of a circular path.

5. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the net force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Additionally, the direction of the acceleration vector is in the same direction as the net force acting on the object.