Function to generate linearly independent vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a function or matrix to generate a linearly independent m-dimensional vector from a set of N vectors. The pseudocode for this process is presented and the speaker is looking for a method that does not require a large field size. The use of gaussian elimination is suggested as a possible solution.
sparse_matrix
Hi,

I want to whether there is a function (/matrix) such that it can generate a m-dimensional vector such that this generated vector will always be linearly independent of the set of vectors the function has already generated.

My problem can be written in pseudocode format as follow. I therefore expect that any m randomly picked vectors from the pool of the N vectors will generate a full-rank matrix.

For (n=1; n<N; n++) { //N>m

S = Span (v1, v2, ..., vn-1)​

Generate vector vn, such that vn is not an element of S;​
//i.e. v_n is linearly independent of the set of vectors already generated.​

S = Span (v1, v2, ..., vn)​

}

Vandermonde matrix is one possible option, but it requires the use of exponentially large field size. So I am looking for vectors generated over smaller field size. Any help in this direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
your problem is not clearly posed. do you want to begin with a general fixed collection of N vectors and then decide how to choose a basis from that set? if the collection is general, then any way of choosing m vectors will work. if you get to specify the N vectors you can arrange that.

are you assuming you have a fixe collection of N vectors containing some basis, but such that not every subset of m vectors is a basis?

what are you given and what do you want to accomplish.

In general, the first technique taught in linear algebra, namely gaussian elimination, will do pretty much whatever can be done along these lines.

e.g. put your vectors in as the columns of a matrix and row reduce. then the original columns that correspond to (i.e. in the same columns positions as) independent columns (i.e. pivot columns) of the reduced matrix were also independent.

What is the purpose of a function to generate linearly independent vectors?

A function to generate linearly independent vectors is used to create a set of vectors that are not dependent on each other. This is important in linear algebra, as dependent vectors can lead to incorrect calculations and solutions.

How does a function to generate linearly independent vectors work?

A function to generate linearly independent vectors works by randomly selecting values for each vector, such that they are not dependent on each other. This can be achieved through various algorithms and methodologies, depending on the specific needs and constraints of the problem.

What are the benefits of using a function to generate linearly independent vectors?

Using a function to generate linearly independent vectors ensures that the resulting set of vectors will be orthogonal, i.e. they will be at right angles to each other. This makes calculations and solutions in linear algebra more accurate and efficient.

Are there any limitations to using a function to generate linearly independent vectors?

One limitation of using a function to generate linearly independent vectors is that it may not always be possible to create a completely independent set. In some cases, the vectors may still have a small degree of dependency, which may require additional calculations or adjustments.

What are some applications of a function to generate linearly independent vectors?

A function to generate linearly independent vectors is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing data analysis.