Kim Jong Un Executes His Uncle

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary: China, Kim has appeared to confirm suspicions that he is more interested in consolidating power than in developing the economy or reforming the social system.North Korea is truly run by lunatics.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The world hoped that Kim Jong Un would move North Korea away from paranoid weirdness, but it seems those hopes have died now. Along with his uncle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25359939

The once-powerful uncle of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has been executed after being purged for corruption, state news agency KCNA reports.

Chang Song-thaek was dramatically removed from a Communist Party session by armed guards earlier this week.

Scary. Just scary. The crazy little dude has nukes!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is scary.

Once all moderating forces have been "purged" by Kim, NK's neighbors should be really scared. China has some massive firepower, but I hope they don't feel the need to act preemptively if they still have some leverage with Kim.

I doubt that he will die a natural death. My question is, will he be killed by his countrymen or by foreign powers?

Apparently one of the charges was "dreaming rebellious dreams" or some jazz.

North Korea is truly run by lunatics.

Claude.

Feudalism apparently still exists.

This event should focus attention on the increasing belligerence of China, as it is they that are the real restraint on lunatic behavior by N. Korea.

China has had long conflicting interests w/ N. Korea. Like the rest of the world they don't want a lunatic nuclear capable government, especially on its border; on the other hand they will tolerate almost any action other than suffer a US-backed toppling of the N. Korean dictatorship leading to a free, democratic Korea on its border.

As China becomes more militant, a nut in N. Korea might calculate he can now attack Seoul, even Japan, and avoid a catastrophic response from the US.

North Korea has summoned back business people working out of the north-eastern Chinese cities of Shenyang and Dandong, sources told the South Korean news agency Yonhap.
. . . .
Another source told the agency Pyongyang planned to bring all officials and staff home from China in stages.
. . . .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25380168

If I was one of them, I wouldn't go home.

I wonder what it's like to work with such a person. I guess one has to be careful not to get on his bad side.

What a strange life for this 30 years old man.

Astronuc said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25380168

If I was one of them, I wouldn't go home.

I wonder what it's like to work with such a person. I guess one has to be careful not to get on his bad side.

They almost certainly won't let someone go overseas without holding on to some dear family member as leverage. The old Soviet Union was in the habit of doing something similar with high-ranking KGB officers, etc.

Nick O said:
I doubt that he will die a natural death. My question is, will he be killed by his countrymen or by foreign powers?

I don't think he will die anytime soon. He seems to be paranoid enough, that he'll kill off anyone he suspects of treason. If he were assassinated by foreign powers, he would be replaced with someone just like him. Just like he did. In other words, business as usual, as Greg pointed out.

A Taiwanese colleague of mine says there is a rumor that Kim Jong's next target for execution is his own wife, for marrying someone else. He has already executed all others from the music band she once belonged to, few months ago.

Uncles are the gateway execution. Next it's sons, gymnasts, and then nuking the rest of the world like NK has totally been about to do every six months or so for the past 15 years.

lisab said:
The crazy little dude has nukes!

Luckily, (as far as we know) they lack a decent delivery mechanism. Of course, if you're in the region, you still have problems.

Today, NK sent a threat to South Korea...via fax:

North Korea sent a fax to South Korea on Thursday, threatening to "strike mercilessly without notice" after protests against the secretive regime this week in Seoul.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/world/asia/north-korea-threats/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Fax, really?! Sounds like something The Onion would come up with.

But no need to worry - Dennis Rodman has been sent to calm things :rolleyes:.

Well, I am glad guys like Nero or Napoleon didn't have access to nuclear weapons, although it IS scary that a similar guy like Kim Jong Un has that access. :smile:

Thanks for the link phinds. The link you have points to this one:
http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/asia-report/china/story/jangs-execution-bodes-ill-china-20131224
which sheds some light on why Kim executed his uncle. It states that Jang Song Thaek (Kim's uncle) had ties to China and was sympathetic to China. This part seems to sum up the underlying issue.
In purging a top official known for his close ties with Beijing in such a brutal manner, Pyongyang did not hide its antagonism towards China.

The official litany of Jang's treason implicated China three times. Jang was accused of underselling coal and other natural resources for which China was virtually the sole customer. He was also charged with "selling off the land of Rason economic and trade zone to a foreign country for a period of five decades under the pretext of paying debts". Finally, he was accused of selling precious metals, thus disrupting the country's financial stability. In fact, China purchased some of North Korea's gold reserves several months ago.

He was also accused of aiding Chinese businessmen in securing low prices for North Korean goods and commodities.

The purge of Jang reflected the longstanding suspicion and apprehension of the North Korean regime towards China, which dates back to the time of Kim Il Sung, North Korea's founder.

Although China fought the Korean War to preserve the Kim regime, he was less than grateful. Once the war was over, Kim started purging the Yan-an faction within his party.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's unconfirmed. Posted by a Chinese newspaper.

Yeah, from what I read, it was published by China because they are annoyed at Kim Jong Un. That doesn't make it true, of course. China could be trying to smear him, not that he really needs any smearing.

Earlier a South Korean source claimed he was executed by a firing squad that included flamethrowers.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's unconfirmed. Posted by a Chinese newspaper.

phinds said:
Yeah, from what I read, it was published by China because they are annoyed at Kim Jong Un. That doesn't make it true, of course. China could be trying to smear him, not that he really needs any smearing.

Vanadium 50 said:
Earlier a South Korean source claimed he was executed by a firing squad that included flamethrowers.
ehem...
internet-truth.jpg

I don't think that North Korea would have had that many dogs left that hadn't been eaten by starving people.:devil:

edward said:
I don't think that North Korea would have had that many dogs left that hadn't been eaten by starving people.:devil:

I'm a little ashamed I tried dog soup when I was there.

Greg Bernhardt said:

When I was in Incheon I watched as a dude riding a scooter jumped off and bludgeoned a dog to death with some club. He then threw it on the back of his scooter and sped off.

Poor dog, someone probably ate it later.

I felt equally bad for eating raw horse in Japan, growing up raising horses and all. It was mighty tasty, unfortunately.

I expect to see the next news story suggest Kim forced them to watch as he ate their still beating hearts.

Listen, nobody panic, but I heard the dogs were NUCLEAR!

Fear not oh thee of little faith.

We have THE BARAK protecting us.

Greg...

As well you should... But I will not tell my Yorkies.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Why? I would have also; once in a life-time experience. BTW How did it taste?

1. Who is Kim Jong Un's uncle and why was he executed?

Kim Jong Un's uncle, Jang Song Thaek, was a high-ranking official in North Korea and was married to Kim Jong Un's aunt. He was executed in 2013 for allegedly planning a coup against Kim Jong Un and other charges of corruption and treason.

2. How did Kim Jong Un execute his uncle?

Jang Song Thaek was reportedly executed by firing squad, although some sources claim he was also fed to a pack of hungry dogs.

3. What impact did the execution have on North Korea's government and society?

The execution of Jang Song Thaek was seen as a major power move by Kim Jong Un and solidified his control over the government. It also sent a message to other officials that any dissent or disloyalty would not be tolerated. The execution also caused fear and instability within North Korean society.

4. Has Kim Jong Un executed any other family members?

There are no confirmed reports of Kim Jong Un executing any other family members, although there have been rumors of other purges and executions within the regime.

5. What is the international response to Kim Jong Un's execution of his uncle?

The international community has condemned the execution of Jang Song Thaek and raised concerns about the human rights abuses and lack of due process in North Korea. Some countries have also imposed sanctions on North Korea in response to the regime's actions.