How to Get Extra Text Lines Below Your Responses

• Thread starter Flyboy
  • Start date
In summary, contributors get a signature line, a higher limit for private message storage, and no ads.
Flyboy
I have noticed that members such as Danger, Fred Garvin, Astronuc, chroot, and others that have lines of text below their responses. I was wondering how you were able to get those. Any input is welcome.:confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean their signature lines, those are a perk available for contributors. If you're interested in becoming a contributor, click on the "upgrade" link at the top of the page. It helps support paying for the servers and upgrades, etc. Other than signatures and avatars, you also get to view the forum without ads, and a higher limit for private message storage.

If you want to remove signatures just go to your UserCP and look under "edit options" and then un-check the box that says "Show Signatures" Personally, I think some people have extremely annoying signatures, so I have all signatures turned off.

mattmns said:
If you want to remove signatures just go to your UserCP and look under "edit options" and then un-check the box that says "Show Signatures" Personally, I think some people have extremely annoying signatures, so I have all signatures turned off.

I've never seen annoying signatures on this site yet.

I've seen plenty elsewhere, but the PF members seem to be controlling themselves.

Other sites have people with signatures taking over half a PAGE!

There may not be any anymore. Probably a year ago or so I remember a few that were very long, so I turned them off and never put them back on.

JasonRox said:
I've never seen annoying signatures on this site yet.

I've seen plenty elsewhere, but the PF members seem to be controlling themselves.

Other sites have people with signatures taking over half a PAGE!
Last year we had some members with half a page long signatures. The guidelines said no more than 4 lines, some had twice that many, it was awful.

It has toned down, I haven't seen too many signatures more than two lines long. Two lines should be the max.

Hear that people? No more than two lines in a signature!

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Other than signatures and avatars, you also get to view the forum without ads

What ads? The only ads I see, not being a contributor, are the ones right at the bottom of the page under 'Associates'. I'm not sure if it would make a difference if those were removed. :uhh:

1. How can I add extra text lines below my responses?

To add extra text lines below your responses, you can insert line breaks by pressing the "Enter" or "Return" key on your keyboard. This will create a new line and allow you to continue typing below your response.

2. Is there a limit to the number of extra text lines I can add?

No, there is no limit to the number of extra text lines you can add below your responses. You can add as many as you need to fully express your thoughts or ideas.

3. Can I use formatting in the extra text lines?

Yes, you can use formatting in the extra text lines below your responses. This includes bold, italics, and underline, as well as different font styles and sizes.

4. How do I make sure the extra text lines are visible?

In order for the extra text lines to be visible, make sure there is enough space between each response and the following line. You can also use formatting to make the extra text lines stand out, such as using a different font color or adding bullet points.

5. Why do I need extra text lines below my responses?

Extra text lines below your responses can be useful for providing additional information or elaborating on your answer. It can also help organize your thoughts and make your response clearer and more complete.