Pressure based on Force/Area

• Thread starter zuN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
So, in summary, the maximum safe depth of the submarine with a 40.0cm diameter, 8.50cm thick window that can withstand forces up to 1.10x106 N is approximately 871m when the pressure is maintained at 1.0atm and the density of seawater is 1025 kg/m^3. The equation used to calculate the pressure was p = patmos + (rhogd), and the area was found using the formula p = F/A.
zuN
Hi i need some help with a problem: A submarine has a 40.0cm diameter window 8.50cm thick. The window can withstand forces up to 1.10x106 N. What is the submarine's maximum safe depth?

The pressure is maintained at 1.0atm and it's in salt water.

Salt water density = 1025 kg/m3.

the equation that i used was p = patmos + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd
p = 1.013x105 + (1.0253)(9.8)(d)

What i did to try to find p was p = F/A. <---- If this equation to find pressure is correct, how to I calculate the area from diameter and thickness?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
zuN said:
Hi i need some help with a problem: A submarine has a 40.0cm diameter window 8.50cm thick. The window can withstand forces up to 1.10x106 N. What is the submarine's maximum safe depth?

The pressure is maintained at 1.0atm and it's in salt water.

Salt water density = 1025 kg/m3.

the equation that i used was p = patmos + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd
p = 1.013x105 + (1.0253)(9.8)(d)
you can omit the first term (atmospheric pressure) because the sub inside pressure is maintained at atmospheric pressure, such that it will cancel out this piece. On your second term, you have a typo, it's 1.025(10^3)(9.8)(d), where d is the water depth in meters
What i did to try to find p was p = F/A. <---- If this equation to find pressure is correct, how to I calculate the area from diameter and thickness?
this equation is correct, you need to find the area based on the window diameter; the thickness does not enter into the equation, so you don't need it (that is, the thickness doesn't affect the force on the window, just it's strength, which is not part of the problem.

so if i omit the atmospheric pressure then it'll be p = 1.025(10^3)(9.8)(d) now
p = F/A = 1.10(10^6) / (pie)(0.04) = 8.75(10^6) Pa.
8.75(10^6) / 1.025(10^3)(9.8) = d
d = 871m. answer was 868.

thanks for the help Phanthom Jay

zuN said:
so if i omit the atmospheric pressure then it'll be p = 1.025(10^3)(9.8)(d) now
p = F/A = 1.10(10^6) / (pie)(0.04) = 8.75(10^6) Pa.
8.75(10^6) / 1.025(10^3)(9.8) = d
d = 871m. answer was 868.

thanks for the help Phanthom Jay

Your answer looks correct. Did the problem give the density of seawater as 1025 kg/m^3 or did you assume that? Using the same values as you, with the exception of g being 9.81 m/s^2 I get 870.5 m.

CS

stewartcs said:
Your answer looks correct. Did the problem give the density of seawater as 1025 kg/m^3 or did you assume that? Using the same values as you, with the exception of g being 9.81 m/s^2 I get 870.5 m.

CS

The professor gave me the value for seawater as 1025 kg/m^3.

What is pressure and how is it related to force and area?

Pressure is a measure of the amount of force applied over a certain area. It is calculated by dividing the force by the area over which it is applied. This means that the greater the force and the smaller the area, the higher the pressure will be.

What are the units of measurement for pressure?

The SI unit for pressure is the Pascal (Pa), which is equal to 1 Newton per square meter (N/m2). Other common units include atmospheres (atm), pounds per square inch (psi), and bar.

How does pressure affect objects?

Pressure can cause objects to change shape or move. For example, when a force is applied to a balloon, the pressure inside increases and causes the balloon to expand. In fluids, pressure is responsible for buoyant forces, which can make objects float or sink.

What is the difference between pressure and stress?

Pressure is a measure of the force applied over a certain area, while stress is a measure of the force applied to a specific material. Pressure is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction, while stress is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

How is pressure used in everyday life?

Pressure is used in a variety of ways in everyday life. Some examples include tire pressure in vehicles, blood pressure in healthcare, and water pressure in plumbing systems. It is also important in engineering and construction, as pressure must be taken into consideration when designing and building structures.