What Are These Unidentified Rocks and Minerals I Found?

• Thread starter Panwasbipolar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, the conversation discusses various interesting rocks and fossils that the participants have collected or come across. The first person shared some photos of a brown lump and a pink piece that they found in different locations, both with interesting features. They ask for others' opinions on what the rocks could be, and mention their own collection of odd rocks and fossils. The conversation then shifts to discussing crinoids and other fossils. One person shares their fascination with crinoids and mentions that they have collected many stems, while another person shares a photo of a beautiful reddish rock that resembles coral. The conversation ends with a question about opals and their reaction to UV light.
Panwasbipolar
Hi guys, I've a habit of looking for things on the ground but don't know what these are. The brown lump is slightly magnetic and has an oily sheen when it's wet. I'm guessing it's slag but am not sure, was found in farm country near Niagara falls. The pink piece is the oddity. I found it in the New Mexico Desert (middle of nowhere, away from highway towards chaco canyon) It's somewhat see through (guessing a type of glass) and has a sheen of oil also, The one side almost has the luster of copper. So in anyone's opinion, are they just piles of crap I keep around or something else? Thanks.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4530/php4txlc1am.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Both
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1697/phpp24mw6am.th.jpg

Closeup
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9263/phpoqun65am.jpg

closeup

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Cool pictures. After people make a guess, can I post an oddity of mine?

I collect odd rocks and fossils.

Evo said:
Cool pictures. After people make a guess, can I post an oddity of mine?

I collect odd rocks and fossils.

Sure I don't mind, I'd like to see them.
If I could have any fossil it'd be a crinoid, things are strange as hell.

I ned to get some better pictures of this. The rock is like marble, but there is something inside of it, the rock formed around something else, there are "strips" of rock where you can see what's inside between the strips, but I can't make out what is inside, it looks like wood inside, which can't be right.

fossilenclosedbs5.jpg

pdr0065em4.jpg

I have tons of crinoid stems. My largest was about 8 inches long as thick as my thumb. Unfortunately, I can't find it since I moved. My daughter did not inherit my fascination for rocks and fossils. :frown:

pdr00421ho6.jpg

Last edited:
Evo, that rock looks just like a type that was very common where I grew up, in the Sierra Nevada mountains. If I remember what my dad told me, they are a quartz/granite aggregate. Hard to say if it's the same thing, but that "rock strip" feature I recognized right away. Where did you get it?

Panwasbipolar, that's a beautiful specimen, I have no idea what it is. The color reminds me of coral.

lisab said:
Evo, that rock looks just like a type that was very common where I grew up, in the Sierra Nevada mountains. If I remember what my dad told me, they are a quartz/granite aggregate. Hard to say if it's the same thing, but that "rock strip" feature I recognized right away. Where did you get it?
Yes, quartz, I just looked at another thread where I descriibed it as quartz, not marble. It was dug up at a lot near me (in Kansas) where they were going to build a house.

The reddish rock in the OP could very well be from opal matrix found in the American SW and in Mexico. I have some that is similar in color and translucent, but more orange in hue.

Hey everyone, thank you for the responses.

Evo, when I first looked at that it reminded me of cave formations, and wondered what the chances were that a petrified tree would have calcium deposits formed around it, but then I remembered you said it was like marble.

Did you collect your crinoids or buy them, if you collected them, what states? They're so alien looking.

Lisab-thanks

Turbo-1 Do opals react to UV light? I did a google search on uncut opals and saw one that looked like it, but am not sure if it was just a photoshop job.

cheers

Panwasbipolar said:
Turbo-1 Do opals react to UV light? I did a google search on uncut opals and saw one that looked like it, but am not sure if it was just a photoshop job.
cheers
That would be entirely (I think) dependent on the admixtures in the opal. Some minerals fluoresce in UV, and significant levels might enhance the look of the stone in strong sunlight or high-frequency light.

1. What are the different types of rocks?

There are three main types of rocks – igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. Igneous rocks are formed from molten magma, sedimentary rocks are formed from sediment deposits, and metamorphic rocks are formed from the transformation of other rocks under high pressure and heat.

2. How can I identify the type of rock I found?

The type of rock can be identified by its physical characteristics, such as color, texture, and composition. For example, igneous rocks are usually dark in color and have a glassy or crystalline texture, while sedimentary rocks often have visible layers or fossils and metamorphic rocks have distinct bands or patterns.

3. Are there any tests I can do to determine the type of rock?

Yes, there are several tests that can help identify the type of rock. One common test is the acid test, where a small amount of acid is applied to the rock to see if it fizzes, indicating the presence of carbonate minerals. Another test is the scratch test, where the hardness of the rock is determined by scratching it with different materials such as a fingernail, penny, or glass.

4. What can rocks tell us about the Earth's history?

Rocks can tell us a lot about the Earth's history, including its age and the processes that have shaped it. By studying the layers, composition, and fossils in rocks, scientists can learn about past environments, climate, and even the evolution of life on Earth.

5. Can I keep the rocks I find?

In most cases, yes, you can keep the rocks you find. However, it is important to check local laws and regulations, as some areas may have restrictions on collecting rocks or fossils. It is also important to respect the environment and only collect rocks from areas where it is permitted and to leave no trace behind.

Back