Calculus III: Confused about Critical Points of f(x,y)?

In summary, The conversation is about a Mathematica assignment for calculus III that asks to find and classify the critical points of a given function. The participants mention using partial derivatives and the discriminant to determine if the critical points are minima, maxima, or saddle points. They also discuss the Hessian and the importance of studying during spring break.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok so i got a mathematica assignment that asks "Find and classify the critical points of [tex]f(x,y)= 5-10xy-4x^2+3y-y^4[/tex]

What does this mean lol. The assignment was from 3 weeks ago and i just had spring break so my brain is completely outa wack. Does this mean classify the points as concave up and down or what? This is calculus III by the way. If someone can just lol, tell me what I am being asked that would be great.

In the exercise before it we found fxx and fyy and fxy of a similar equation and then we found fxx*fyy - (fxy)^2. I am so lost lol. What is this partial derivative thing. Whats the fxx partial derivative * fxy - (fxy)^2 all about? I feel so dumb, my high school calculus teacher would be so dissappointed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Classify the critical points as minima, maxima, or saddle points.

A partial derivative is a derivative of a function of multiple variables taken as if all but one of the variables are held constant (well, in some cases it's slightly more complicated. But just slightly!).

For a differentiable function [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] of two real variables with equal mixed second partial derivatives (ie. [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x}[/tex]), the quantity

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} - \left(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y}\right)^2 = D[/tex]

is called the discriminant of [itex]f[/itex]. If [itex]P = (x_0, y_0)[/itex] is a critical point of [itex]f[/itex], then [itex]P[/itex] is a minimum or maximum if [itex]D>0[/itex] and a saddle point if [itex]D<0[/itex], where [itex]D[/itex] is evaluated at [itex]P[/itex]. If [itex]D=0[/itex] then it tells you nothing. These facts can be proved using from the Taylor expansion of [itex]f[/itex] for analytic functions.

Relative minima,maxima & saddle points.

And that "D" is actually the functions's hessian.It's a determinant

[tex] D=\left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial^{2}f}{\partial x\partial x}&\frac{\partial^{2}f}{\partial x\partial y}\\ \frac{\partial^{2}f}{\partial y\partial x}&\frac{\partial^{2}f}{\partial y\partial y}\end{array}\right| [/tex]

Daniel.

I would say it means "open your textbook and look up "critical point" (or "critical number")! It's not spring break anymore!

It is to me,that's why I'm on PF...:tongue:

Daniel.

What is the purpose of studying critical points in Calculus III?

The concept of critical points is important in Calculus III because it allows us to identify the locations where a function's derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. These points can help us determine the maximum and minimum values of a function and can be used to optimize various real-world problems.

How do I find the critical points of a function in two or more variables?

To find the critical points of a function in multiple variables, you must first take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. Then, set each partial derivative equal to zero and solve the resulting system of equations for the variables. The solutions to this system of equations are the critical points of the function.

What is the difference between a relative and absolute extremum?

A relative extremum is a maximum or minimum value of a function within a specific interval, while an absolute extremum is the overall maximum or minimum value of the entire function. In other words, a relative extremum is a local maximum or minimum, while an absolute extremum is a global maximum or minimum.

Can a function have multiple critical points?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points. These points can be either local maxima or minima, or they can be saddle points, where the function has a horizontal tangent but is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

How can I determine if a critical point is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point?

To determine the type of critical point, we can use the second derivative test or the Hessian matrix. If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, it is a local minimum. If the second derivative is negative, it is a local maximum. If the second derivative is zero, further testing is needed to determine the type of critical point. The Hessian matrix can also help us determine the type of critical point by looking at the signs of its eigenvalues.