Find the D value of critical point and the type of critical point

In summary: This is not just a quirk of one variable calculus, but a real phenomenon that can occur in higher dimensions as well. In summary, the function f(x,y) = [e^(-y^2)]cos(4x) has a critical point at (0,0) and the task is to find the D value at this point and determine its type (max, min, saddle, or none). To find the D value, the partial derivatives (fx, fy, fxx, fyy, fxy, and fyx) must be computed. The correct values of these derivatives at (0,0) are fx = 0, fy = 1, fxx = -4, fyy = -4
coolusername

Homework Statement

The function f(x,y) = [e^(-y^2)]cos(4x) has a critical point (0,0)

Homework Equations

Find the D value at the critical point. What type of critical point is it? (max, min, saddle or none)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to find the D value I must compute the partial derivatives (fox, fey, fxy and fyx)

fx = [-4e^(-y^2)]sin(4x)

fy = [-2ye^(-y^2)]cos(4x)

fxx = [-16e^(-y^2)](cos(4x)

fyy = [4(y^2)e^(-y^2)]cos(4x)

fxy = [8ye^(-y^2)]sin(4x)

D = (fxx)(fyy) - (fxy)^2
= [-16e^(-y^2)](cos(4x)[4(y^2)e^(-y^2)]cos(4x) - {[8ye^(-y^2)]sin(4x)}^2

evaluated at the critical point (0,0)

= (-16)(0) - (0)(0)
= 0

This means that the 2nd derivative test gave no info. But somehow it's not the right answer. Did I find the correct value of D? Is my approach correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Having the discriminant be zero doesn't mean there is no max or min. In your case, ##f(0,0)=1##. Can you tell from the original equation whether that might be a max or min?

Likes 1 person
I see from the original equation that the max of f(x,y) is 1. However what would the value of D be? Did I calculate it correctly? I keep getting 0 but since the critical point has a max behaviour then shouldn't D be more than 0?

coolusername said:

Homework Statement

The function f(x,y) = [e^(-y^2)]cos(4x) has a critical point (0,0)

Homework Equations

Find the D value at the critical point. What type of critical point is it? (max, min, saddle or none)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to find the D value I must compute the partial derivatives (fox, fey, fxy and fyx)

fx = [-4e^(-y^2)]sin(4x)

fy = [-2ye^(-y^2)]cos(4x)

fxx = [-16e^(-y^2)](cos(4x)

fyy = [4(y^2)e^(-y^2)]cos(4x)

D = (fxx)(fyy) - (fxy)^2
= [-16e^(-y^2)](cos(4x)[4(y^2)e^(-y^2)]cos(4x) - {[8ye^(-y^2)]sin(4x)}^2

evaluated at the critical point (0,0)

= (-16)(0) - (0)(0)
= 0

This means that the 2nd derivative test gave no info. But somehow it's not the right answer. Did I find the correct value of D? Is my approach correct?

Thanks

Your second derivative ##f_{yy}## is incorrect; it should not be 0 at (0,0), and ##D(0,0) \neq 0##.

Likes 1 person
Oh, I forgot to do the product rule on fy thus my fyy was incorrect.

Thanks LCKurtz & Ray Vickson!

coolusername said:
I see from the original equation that the max of f(x,y) is 1. However what would the value of D be? Did I calculate it correctly? I keep getting 0 but since the critical point has a max behaviour then shouldn't D be more than 0?

Regardless of the calculation error that I overlooked, the discriminant can be zero even though there is a relative max or min. This is even true in one variable. Consider ##y=x^4##. This has an absolute min at ##x=0## yet ##y'=0## and ##y''=0## at ##x=0## so the second derivative test fails to discriminate the relative min.

1. What is the D value of a critical point?

The D value of a critical point is the determinant of the Hessian matrix, which is a square matrix containing the second-order partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is used to determine if a critical point is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

2. How do you find the D value of a critical point?

To find the D value of a critical point, you first need to calculate the Hessian matrix by taking the second-order partial derivatives of the function. Then, find the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If it is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If it is zero, further analysis is needed to determine the type of critical point.

3. What is the significance of the D value in determining the type of critical point?

The D value is significant because it helps determine the nature of the critical point. If the D value is positive, the critical point is a minimum, which means the function decreases in all directions. If the D value is negative, the critical point is a maximum, and the function increases in all directions. If the D value is zero, further analysis is needed to determine the type of critical point.

4. What does a positive D value indicate about a critical point?

A positive D value indicates that the critical point is a minimum. This means that the function decreases in all directions around the critical point and has a lower value than all nearby points.

5. How does the type of critical point affect the behavior of a function?

The type of critical point affects the behavior of a function because it determines the direction in which the function changes around that point. A minimum critical point means the function decreases in all directions, while a maximum critical point means the function increases in all directions. A saddle point has both increasing and decreasing directions, making it a point of inflection for the function.