Torque and Center of Gravity in Rotating Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotation of two objects, a blue object and an orange object, around a fixed axis. The blue object rotates at a constant velocity ω, and an external system can force it to turn at this velocity if necessary. The orange object receives forces F1 and F2 from the blue object, and the conversation explores whether these forces can cause the orange object to rotate around its center of gravity. The conversation also discusses the concept of torque and the effects of friction on the rotation of the objects. The final part of the conversation introduces the idea of a motor between the two objects and questions how it would affect their rotation.
v54
Hi !

2 Objects turn at constant rotational velocity ω rd/s around axis noted "axis" on image (ω clockwise). An external system not drawn force the study to turn at ω rd/s if necessary. From blue object, forces F1 and F2 are applied to orange object. F1 = -F2 in vector.

I would like to know if orange object receive a torque and turn around its center of gravity "cg2" if I apply F1 and F2 forces ? I think if I want to apply a torque on orange object linear velocity must be the same of two points "A" and "B" where forces are applied. It's possible for a small distance dx I think. If I add a rotational velocity anticlockwise to orange object, it's possible to have the same velocity for each point. In this case F1/F2 forces on orange object will decrease potential energy, but this energy can be recover, no ?

Blue object receive a torque F2*d2-F1*d1 in the direction of rotation, so how the orange object cancel this torque ?

Thanks a lot for your reply !

Attachments

• p5.png
    p5.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lets call the axis point O.

You have drawn F1 orthogonal (at right angles) to the line OA (marked D1 in your drawing) but why isn't F2 orthogonal to OB?

I take F1 = - F2 in vector for have a torque to orange object. I place F1 and I have no choice for F2.

I think I need to take ω = -ω' like that velocity of each point of orange object is the same everywhere.

Last edited:
If blue object turn at ω and orange object turn at -ω it's like object orange move in translation ?

I drawn first image for look at details of forces and second for look at different positions in time. The green point of orange object don't turn for me, can I say orange object move in translation ?

Attachments

• i1.png
    i1.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 458
  • i2.png
    i2.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 489
In the last message, I'm wrong, orange object don't move in translation.

I simulated 2 rotations, with rotational velocity ω for blue object and -ω for orange object, I can see objects are turning from an external viewer (+ω and -ω). So, if I apply a torque on orange object I need energy, this energy goes to kinetics energy of rotation for orange object. Now, the blue object receive the same torque but in the other direction and increase its rotational velocity. Like this torque increase kinetics energy of rotation (blue object) I think I need to give this energy but how ?

I'm not quite sure where you are going with this.

Is there friction between the blue and orange objects?

If yes, then the orange object will eventually rotate with the same angular velocity as the blue box it's in.

If no, then the orange object will retain it's original orientation.

Just understand combination of rotational velocities and torques. No friction. If I apply a torque on orange object from blue object, this torque is apply to blue object in other direction, no ?

How does the blue object apply a torque on the orange object if there is no friction between the two?

If there is no friction...When the blue object rotates the orange object will not rotate. It's inertia will keep it orientated in the same direction. I believe this diagram is correct..

attachment.php?attachmentid=70151&d=1401354621.png

Thanks for the diagram.

CWatters said:
How does the blue object apply a torque on the orange object if there is no friction between the two?

I added a motor for example between orange/blue objects. If rotational velocity of orange object is -ω and ω for blue object. The rotor fixed to the orange object give a torque to it, so the motor increase the rotational velocity of orange object, and this need energy, I'm ok with that. Now, the stator is fixed to the blue object, a torque is applied to blue object and this need energy too. Forces from stator to blue object exist because they are forces on rotor (reaction), it's not forces alone. If I give forces alone, sure they need energy but here how the stator consume more energy because it turns around blue object ?

Last edited:
I'm lost. You mention a "stator" (normally a stationary object) turning around the blue object.

I'll let someone with more time try and work out what your question is.

1. What is torque and how does it relate to center of gravity?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed. In terms of torque, the point where the force is applied is crucial in determining the rotation of an object, as the farther the force is from the center of gravity, the greater the torque will be.

2. How does the center of gravity affect the stability of an object?

The center of gravity plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an object. If the center of gravity is above the base of support, the object will be top-heavy and more likely to tip over. On the other hand, if the center of gravity is within the base of support, the object will be more stable and less likely to tip over.

3. How can torque be manipulated to change an object's motion?

Torque can be manipulated by changing the direction or magnitude of the applied force, or by changing the distance from the axis of rotation where the force is applied. By changing these variables, the torque acting on an object can be increased, decreased, or even reversed, resulting in a change in the object's motion.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its center of gravity?

The shape of an object directly affects its center of gravity. Objects with irregular shapes or uneven weight distribution will have a center of gravity that is not in the center of the object. On the other hand, symmetrical objects with uniform weight distribution will have a center of gravity at the geometric center of the object.

5. Can torque and center of gravity be used to determine an object's stability?

Yes, torque and center of gravity can be used to determine an object's stability. By calculating the torque acting on an object and comparing it to the object's center of gravity, we can determine whether the object will be stable or not. Objects with a lower center of gravity and a smaller torque will be more stable, while objects with a higher center of gravity and a larger torque will be less stable.