Plotting in MilliNewtons in Mathematica

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter pinsky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with plotting small numbers in mathematica and the solution of multiplying the values by 1000 and labeling the axis in milliNewton. However, this solution may affect the slope of the regression line.
pinsky
Hello there!

I'm doing a plot of some measured forces in mathematica. I have the measured values (in Newtons) in the form:

{0, 0.000981, 0.004905, 0.001962, 0.002943, 0.003924, 0.005886,0.006867, 0.007848}

When i plot it (as ListPlot against some other set of values) those small numbers don't look very nice on the axis.

I'm trying to find a way to plot in miliNewtons, so that the values on the axis would be multyplied by 1000, but so that my plot wouldn't change.

I've googled for a hour and a half, and found no hint to a solution. I't seems like a fairly common thing to do.

Help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just multiply the values by 1000, then label the axis in milliNewton, as follows:
Code:
Dat = {0, 0.000981, 0.004905, 0.001962, 0.002943, 0.003924, 0.005886, 
   0.006867, 0.007848};

ListPlot[Dat*1000, AxesLabel -> {Xaxis, milliNewton}]

The whole situation is that I have to draw the data f(U2)=F in form os measured data together with the aproximated regresion line. If I multiply it by 1000 i have to apply the changes to the line function which changes it's slope.

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computational software program that is widely used by scientists, mathematicians, and engineers for data analysis, modeling, and visualization. It provides a user-friendly interface and a powerful language for performing complex calculations and creating graphics.

How can I plot data in MilliNewtons in Mathematica?

To plot data in MilliNewtons in Mathematica, you can use the "ListPlot" or "Plot" functions. These functions allow you to input your data points and specify the units for the axes. For example, if your data is in MilliNewtons, you can use the option "PlotRange -> {0, All, MilliNewtons}" to ensure the y-axis is labeled in MilliNewtons.

Can I customize the appearance of my plot in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica offers a variety of options for customizing the appearance of your plots. You can change the colors, labels, axes, and legends using built-in functions. You can also add titles, annotations, and mathematical expressions to your plots.

How can I import data into Mathematica for plotting?

Mathematica has built-in functions for importing data from various sources, including CSV files, Excel spreadsheets, and databases. You can use the "Import" function to load your data into Mathematica and then use the "ListPlot" or "Plot" functions to plot the data.

Is it possible to export my plots from Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica allows you to export your plots in various formats, such as PDF, PNG, and SVG. You can use the "Export" function to save your plots to a file, which can then be easily shared or used in other documents.