Has Fermilab "Shot Down" Higgs Boson Theory?

In summary, there was a recent incident at Fermilab where the Dzero team found something they had previously overlooked. This has led to a decrease in the odds of the "god particle" - also known as the Higgs boson - being real. There is currently no one theory that says the Higgs should be detectable at a specific energy level, so higher energy accelerators are being used to search for it. However, even if it is found, it may not necessarily be the Higgs boson as there could be other unknown particles responsible for mass. The Higgs boson is not related to mass dissipation or quantized gravity, as some may think.
Gravitons
I've read a couple articles about the recent incident at fermilab last week about them overlooking something. The Dzero team found something they missed. Well in the end it is said that the odds of the "god particle" being real have significantly gone down due to the results of this last fermilab experiment. I am just curious about everyone's opinions on whether the higgs boson theory has been "shot down" so to say. And the actual process in which CERN and accelerators like fermilab are using to find the higgs boson? Like what are they doing that is going to show them if higgs is real or not? However i can understand that this might be too complicated to explain. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Will if I recall correctly then the Higgs Boson is just a particle that explains how mass doesn't dissipate. The basic concept, I thought, was that it proves the existence of theoretical particles such as Glueons (among ridiculous amounts of others). If we assume it's a non existence particle then that means that none of these particles can exist and we still have no quantified explanation of gravity.

CERN's LHC is the most likely to find the Higgs Boson if it exists - although they did find two new elements the other day (one of which irradiates in 16 pico-seconds, or something ridiculous).

Gravitons said:
I've read a couple articles about the recent incident at fermilab last week about them overlooking something. The Dzero team found something they missed. Well in the end it is said that the odds of the "god particle" being real have significantly gone down due to the results of this last fermilab experiment. I am just curious about everyone's opinions on whether the higgs boson theory has been "shot down" so to say. And the actual process in which CERN and accelerators like fermilab are using to find the higgs boson? Like what are they doing that is going to show them if higgs is real or not? However i can understand that this might be too complicated to explain. Thanks.

You misunderstood the articles. They claimed a possible detection of something at a certain energy level. There is no one theory that says the higgs should be detectable at 1 energy level. Higher energy accelerators are built so that they can look through many many different energy levels until they can find it. For all we know, if it actually is something, it could be a new particle no one knows about yet. There is nothing saying it has to be the higgs.

Haroldingo said:
Will if I recall correctly then the Higgs Boson is just a particle that explains how mass doesn't dissipate. The basic concept, I thought, was that it proves the existence of theoretical particles such as Glueons (among ridiculous amounts of others). If we assume it's a non existence particle then that means that none of these particles can exist and we still have no quantified explanation of gravity.

This is not true. In the Standard Model, the Higgs boson is responsible for the mass of other particles through a mechanism called "spontaneous symmetry breaking". It's got nothing to do with mass dissipation or even quantized gravity.

Polyrhythmic said:
This is not true. In the Standard Model, the Higgs boson is responsible for the mass of other particles through a mechanism called "spontaneous symmetry breaking". It's got nothing to do with mass dissipation or even quantized gravity.

Sorry for the misinformation, I was under the impression that it proved the existence of other theoretical particles? Thanks :)

1. What is Fermilab and what is its role in the study of the Higgs boson?

Fermilab is a particle physics laboratory located in Illinois, USA. It is one of the leading institutions in the world for researching and studying subatomic particles. Its main role in the study of the Higgs boson is through its particle accelerator, the Tevatron, which was used to conduct experiments that provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson.

2. Has Fermilab definitively disproven the existence of the Higgs boson?

No, Fermilab has not definitively disproven the existence of the Higgs boson. While the Tevatron experiments did not directly observe the Higgs boson, they did provide strong evidence for its existence. The existence of the Higgs boson was later confirmed by experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN.

3. What did the Tevatron experiments at Fermilab reveal about the Higgs boson?

The Tevatron experiments at Fermilab provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson through the observation of its decay products. The data collected showed a bump in the energy spectrum, which was consistent with the expected signal from the Higgs boson. This provided important information for scientists to further study and confirm the existence of the Higgs boson.

4. How does Fermilab's research on the Higgs boson contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Fermilab's research on the Higgs boson has contributed to our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. The existence of the Higgs boson helps to explain how particles acquire mass, which is a key component in the Standard Model of particle physics. This research also helps us to understand the origins of the universe and how it evolved into its current state.

5. What is the future of Higgs boson research at Fermilab?

Currently, Fermilab's research on the Higgs boson has shifted to studying its properties and interactions more closely. This includes studying its coupling with other particles, its spin, and its decay modes. Fermilab also has plans to upgrade its accelerator in the future, which could potentially provide new insights into the Higgs boson and its role in the universe.