New MOND paper: Pointecouteau and Silk

In summary, during a conversation about the paper titled "Tests of Modified Newtonian Dynamics" by Joe Silk, one person mentioned their respect for Silk and their limited knowledge on the subject. Another person then shared that they had previously linked to the paper in a different thread and hoped for further discussion on the topic.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
in case anyone is interested:

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0505017

I know Joe Silk slightly and respect him a lot.
I don't know much at all about this subject (tests of MOND)
but assume that this paper is of interest because Silk
is so highly regarded

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi marcus, I linked to this paper in the "another MOND prediction confirmed" thread. Thought it would be well placed there...

matt.o said:
Hi marcus, I linked to this paper in the "another MOND prediction confirmed" thread. Thought it would be well placed there...

that is fine with me, glad you think it fits in.
maybe there will be some comment

1. What is the "New MOND paper" by Pointecouteau and Silk?

The "New MOND paper" refers to a recent publication in the field of astrophysics by researchers Pointecouteau and Silk. MOND stands for Modified Newtonian Dynamics and is a theory proposed to explain the behavior of galaxies without the need for dark matter.

2. What is the main finding of the "New MOND paper"?

The main finding of the "New MOND paper" is the confirmation of the MOND theory on a larger scale. Pointecouteau and Silk used data from galaxy clusters to show that the behavior of these objects can be explained by MOND without the need for dark matter.

3. How does MOND differ from the traditional theory of dark matter?

MOND proposes a modification of Newton's laws of gravity to explain the behavior of galaxies, while the traditional theory of dark matter suggests the presence of a type of matter that does not interact with light but has a gravitational effect on visible matter.

4. What are the implications of the "New MOND paper" for the study of dark matter?

The "New MOND paper" challenges the traditional understanding of dark matter and presents an alternative explanation for the behavior of galaxies. This could lead to further research and discussions about the nature of dark matter and its role in the universe.

5. Are there any criticisms of the "New MOND paper"?

As with any scientific publication, there may be criticisms or alternative interpretations of the results presented in the "New MOND paper." It is important for the scientific community to continue to study and evaluate the evidence in order to reach a better understanding of the universe and its workings.