Solving a First Order Inhomogeneous ODE for a Regular LR Circuit with AC Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving a solution for a regular LR circuit with an AC voltage. The speaker first tries to solve it using undetermined coefficients and then with Cramer's Rule. They then add a term for the homogeneous case and use an initial value to get the general solution, which includes an exponential, cosine, and sine term. The conversation ends with the speaker figuring out a mistake in their solution and using a numerical example to compare it with the solution from a book. The identity used in the conversation is the cosine difference identity.
Waxterzz
For a regular LR circuit (L and R in series) and with a AC voltage:

R8yRjNY.jpg

I tried to derive the solution myself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmsu9j0vt91ze8x/LRcircuit.jpg

So first I solved with undetermined coefficients, plugged them in, and then solved with Cramer's Rule.

Then I added the term (the solution for the homogeneous case) with the solution I got with undertermined coefficients.

Then I used initial value: the current i(t) at t=0 is 0.

Then I got the general solution: an exponential term, a cosine term and a sine term. But my solution is quite different from the book.

Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solutions looks correct.

To get it into the above form you have to use the cos difference identity...

[itex]\cos {\left(\left(\omega t + \phi\right) - \theta\right)}=\cos {\left(\omega t + \phi\right)}\cos {\theta}+\sin {\left(\omega t + \phi\right)} \sin {\theta} [/itex]

The trick is to figure out what [itex]\theta[/itex] is in terms of [itex]R,\omega, L[/itex]. To do this think of a right triangle with sides [itex]R[/itex] and [itex] \omega L [/itex].

Likes 1 person
the_wolfman said:
Your solutions looks correct.

To get it into the above form you have to use the cos difference identity...

[itex]\cos {\left(\left(\omega t + \phi\right) - \theta\right)}=\cos {\left(\omega t + \phi\right)}\cos {\theta}+\sin {\left(\omega t + \phi\right)} \sin {\theta} [/itex]

The trick is to figure out what [itex]\theta[/itex] is in terms of [itex]R,\omega, L[/itex]. To do this think of a right triangle with sides [itex]R[/itex] and [itex] \omega L [/itex].

I made a mistake in my solution bye the way.

In evaluating the coefficient of C of the exponential term, when I took t = 0 I let the sine term vanishes but that doesn't vanishes sin (wt + q) it become sin (q). I was thinking about sin (wt) becomes zero, yes but not with a phase angle between the brackets. Stupid mistake.

This the correct one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ne1wo9wknk3s1mw/20140711_121219~2.jpg

Then I used a numerical example to comparize mine solution with the one for the book.

No idea how I will get it in that form from the book. :) I'm going to try later this day. Thanks for your identity.Edit: I got it! Thanks again for your identity. I will post solution to be complete soon. :)

Last edited:

What is a First Order Inhomogeneous ODE?

A First Order Inhomogeneous ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives with respect to one independent variable. It is called "inhomogeneous" because it includes a term that is not dependent on the unknown function.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and inhomogeneous ODE?

The main difference between a homogeneous and inhomogeneous ODE is that a homogeneous ODE does not include any terms that are not dependent on the unknown function, while an inhomogeneous ODE does. This makes solving inhomogeneous ODEs more challenging, as they require a particular solution in addition to the general solution.

How do you solve a First Order Inhomogeneous ODE?

To solve a First Order Inhomogeneous ODE, you need to find both the general solution and a particular solution. The general solution is the most general form of the solution, while the particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or Laplace transforms.

What are some real-life applications of First Order Inhomogeneous ODEs?

First Order Inhomogeneous ODEs have many applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electric circuits. For example, the decay of a radioactive substance can be described by a First Order Inhomogeneous ODE.

What are the limitations of using First Order Inhomogeneous ODEs?

Although First Order Inhomogeneous ODEs have many applications, they are limited in their ability to accurately model complex systems. In real-life situations, multiple variables and factors may affect the outcome, making it difficult to create an accurate model using only a First Order Inhomogeneous ODE. Additionally, the assumptions and simplifications made in the model may not always reflect the real-world scenario.