Spherical shock wave propagation in liquids

In summary, the Electric Engineer is looking for a formula that relates the propagation velocity to time, as well as the pressure at the shock front. The physicist student from Hungary suggests trying a self similar or 'Taylor' solution, and also recommends looking for papers on underwater shock waves and water confined laser ablation.
Bpapdi
Dear topic mates!

I'm an electric engineer and physicist student from Hungary.

I looking for description of the spherical shock wave propagation in liquids. I need a formula which give the relationship between the propagation velocity and time. Additionally, I wonder the pressure at the shock front. Can you help me, where can I find informations? If you have a book or printed article, wihich contain relevant infomation, copy it to here, please.

Thanks, Bence

Physics news on Phys.org
Bpapdi said:
Dear topic mates!

I'm an electric engineer and physicist student from Hungary.

I looking for description of the spherical shock wave propagation in liquids. I need a formula which give the relationship between the propagation velocity and time. Additionally, I wonder the pressure at the shock front. Can you help me, where can I find informations? If you have a book or printed article, wihich contain relevant infomation, copy it to here, please.

Thanks, Bence

Welcome to the PF. What course is this for? What is the context of the question?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. What course is this for? What is the context of the question?

The formulas are need for explain experimental results. The investigated waves (acoustic wave or shock wave?) are induced by laser removed metal particle in water.

I have already searched in articles and in books for the required function, but i can't find empirical formula.

Hmm have you tried a self similar or 'Taylor' solution? I believe this is the the standard way to deal analytically with shocks. It's mainly used in air, but I can't recall a reason it wouldn't work in a liquid...

This reminds me of sonoluminescence research. Try:
Walton, Alan J "Sonoluminescence", Advances in Physics 1984, Vol 33, No. 6, 595-660
D. Felipe Gaitan et al, "Sonoluminescence and bubble dynamics for a single, stable cavitation bubble", J. Acoust. Soc. Am 91 (6), June 1992
Flynn, H. G.; "Physics of acoustic cavitation in Liquids", Physical Acoustics Academic, NY 1964, Vol 1, Part B

Hello Bpapdi,

you can find the general treatment of underwater shock waves in the first chapters of the book by http://www.archive.org/details/underwaterexplos00cole" It's an old book, but still very good, and it's free.
A good review paper that describes propagation of shock waves in liquids is http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JAPIAU000064000001000152000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes"
Laser induced underwater shock waves is a field in which http://www.bmo.uni-luebeck.de/index.php?id=vogel_pub" has quite some publications. I would also recommend to search for "water confined laser ablation".

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a spherical shock wave?

A spherical shock wave is a type of shock wave that propagates outward in all directions from a central point, forming a spherical shape. It is created by a sudden and intense release of energy, such as an explosion or impact.

2. How does a spherical shock wave propagate in liquids?

A spherical shock wave in liquids is created when a high-velocity object, such as a bullet or a bomb, penetrates the liquid. The shock wave propagates through the liquid, causing a sudden and sharp increase in pressure and temperature. This leads to a rapid expansion of the liquid, forming the spherical shock wave.

3. What factors affect the propagation of a spherical shock wave in liquids?

The propagation of a spherical shock wave in liquids is influenced by several factors, including the intensity and duration of the energy release, the properties of the liquid (such as density and compressibility), and the distance from the source of the shock wave.

4. What are the applications of studying spherical shock wave propagation in liquids?

The study of spherical shock wave propagation in liquids has various applications, including understanding the effects of explosions and impacts on structures and materials, developing protective measures against shock waves, and improving the design of underwater vehicles and weapons.

5. How is the behavior of a spherical shock wave in liquids modeled and studied?

Scientists use mathematical and computational models to study the behavior of a spherical shock wave in liquids. These models take into account various physical principles, such as conservation of mass, energy, and momentum, to predict the characteristics of the shock wave, such as its pressure and velocity over time and distance.