Is it correct to use a 3-tuple for transitivity in a relation?

• Thread starter EdgeOfWorld
  • Start date
In summary, the correct use of "3-tuple" is to represent the universal quantifier for a transitive relation on a set B. This can be shortened to a 3-tuple over B^3, and is not related to the existence of y.
EdgeOfWorld
correct use of "3-tuple"?

(here I use "A" for the universal quantifier, "E" for the existential quantifier, and "e" to indicate elementhood)

My present definition for Transitivity of a relation:
R is a transitive relation on the set B

AxeB AyeB AzeB [((x,y)eR & (y,z)eR)-->(x,z)eR]

which I shorten to:
Ax,y,zeB[((x,y)eR & (y,z)eR)-->(x,z)eR]

But for a certain proof I need Ey rather than Ay, so I'm wondering if I can use a 3-tuple, (x,y,z), in the following way:

A(x,y,z)eB[((x,y)eR & (y,z)eR)-->(x,z)eR]

or would that mean I'd have to be using B^3??

Physics news on Phys.org

Not sure what you're asking, but transitivity is a property of R, not an operation on the x,y, and z. Thus you can't use this definition to establish the existence of y, or for that matter, x, z, or R itself.

A 3-tuple would be over [tex]B^3[/tex]

Last edited:

Hello, EdgeOfWorld (famous last words, there!), yes, I think your original statement,

[tex](\forall x,y,z \in B) [(((x,y)\in R) \& ((y,z) \in R)) \Rightarrow ((x,z) \in R)],[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex](\forall(x,y,z)\in B^3)[(((x,y)\in R) \& ((y,z)\in R))\Rightarrow ((x,z)\in R)].[/tex]

I don't see how this relates to the existence of y, but maybe that's because you haven't told us exactly how you're going to use it.

1. What is a 3-tuple?

A 3-tuple, also known as a triple, is an ordered list of three items or elements. It is a data structure commonly used in computer science and mathematics.

2. How is a 3-tuple written?

A 3-tuple is typically written in the form (x, y, z), where x, y, and z represent the three elements in the tuple. The order of the elements is significant, meaning (x, y, z) is not the same as (y, x, z).

3. What is the correct use of a 3-tuple?

A 3-tuple is commonly used to represent a single entity with three distinct characteristics. It can also be used to store and retrieve data in a structured way. It is important to remember the order of the elements and to use the correct notation when working with 3-tuples.

4. What is the difference between a 3-tuple and a tuple with more or less elements?

The main difference between a 3-tuple and a tuple with a different number of elements is the size. A 3-tuple has three elements, while a tuple with more or less elements can have any number. Additionally, the use and purpose of the tuple may vary depending on the number of elements it contains.

5. What are some common applications of 3-tuples?

3-tuples are used in a variety of fields such as computer science, mathematics, and data analysis. They are commonly used to represent coordinates in three-dimensional space, RGB color values, and database records. They can also be used for pattern matching and data compression algorithms.