Adapting Variable Cam Timing to DOHC Engines - Brian

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of adapting variable cam timing to a DOHC engine, specifically the early Northstar V8s. The idea is to mimic VTEC on Hondas, which can increase horsepower at a certain RPM. The speaker suggests using an oblong cam bearing with a servo to push the cam sideways and change where the cam follower hits, and having it self-activate at a given RPM. The conversation also mentions the possibility of redesigning the Northstar head to incorporate a VVT configuration, but the cost and potential horsepower gain are questioned. The speaker brings up the example of 4 valve Windsor heads, which are significantly more expensive than regular 2 valve heads.
guitarrc6
hey i was wondering if anyone can adapt variable cam timing to any DOHC engine? I was thinking in regards to the early northstar v8s. I have seen v-tec on hondas, and how it gives them basically more horsepower at a certain rpm. I think the gains would be more if you have a bigger engine. does anyone know of a v-tec manfacturer that can adapt to a northstar, or does anyone know a simple (well relatively simple, v-tec in general is not simple) way of making a v-tec?? i have some mechanical ability and can get to any tool just short of a cnc machinene. I was thinking of a oblong cam bearing with some sort of servo that pushes the cam sideways to change where the cam follower hits the cam. what do you think? i also what it to self activate at a given rpm. any answers would be helpful.

thanks, brian

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well the timing is only part of it, having a different lift and duration would be nice as well. For that, I thought the Porche system would be the easiest to mimic, you could get a regular 'hot' camshaft reground to have a conservative profile in the middle and then have grind the lifter to have a smaller contact patch and then a 'ring' around the lifter that followed the outside lobes that could be locked with a pin to force the lifter to follow the more aggresive lobe profile. They used to have a nice animated demo, but this is still a decent pic:
http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/911/carrera_models.nsf/usaenglish/enginevariocam_plus

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible? Yes. If you really want, you could completely redesign the NS head so it uses some VVT configuration. Question is how much would the new head cost and would thos costs be worth the possible Hp gain?

Windosor blocks are 2V heads but there is a company (do a google search fro 4 valve 302 or the like) that does make 4V windsor heads. They are 2 to 3 times more expensive that a good set of 2v heads though. I bring this up because the Windsor block is a push rod engine so the design of a 4v head was more difficult yet it was still accomplished. A VVT NS engine would be easy to design in comparison IMO, but due to the VVT setup it would cost much, much more.

1. What is variable cam timing (VCT) and how does it work?

Variable cam timing is a mechanism in engines that allows for the adjustment of valve timing, which controls when the intake and exhaust valves open and close. This is typically achieved through the use of hydraulic or electronic systems that can advance or retard the camshafts' position in relation to the crankshaft. This allows for more precise control over the engine's performance and can improve fuel efficiency and power.

2. What are the benefits of adapting VCT to DOHC engines?

Adapting VCT to DOHC engines allows for even more precise control over valve timing compared to single overhead cam (SOHC) engines. This can result in improved performance, fuel efficiency, and emissions control. It also allows for better optimization of engine performance at different RPMs.

3. Can VCT be retrofitted onto existing DOHC engines?

Yes, VCT can be retrofitted onto existing DOHC engines. However, the process may vary depending on the specific engine and VCT system being used. It is recommended to consult a professional mechanic or engineer for proper installation and calibration.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to adapting VCT to DOHC engines?

One potential drawback of adapting VCT to DOHC engines is increased complexity and cost. VCT systems typically require additional components and sensors, which can add to the overall cost and potential points of failure in the engine. In addition, proper calibration and maintenance are crucial for optimal performance and longevity.

5. What types of DOHC engines are best suited for VCT adaptation?

VCT can be adapted to various types of DOHC engines, but it is most commonly found in modern, high-performance engines. These include sports cars, luxury vehicles, and some high-end motorcycles. However, with advancements in technology, VCT is becoming more widespread and can potentially be adapted to a wider range of DOHC engines.