Space Station-Artificial Gravity

In summary, the minimum diameter of a space station that would simulate an artificial G of 10 m/s^2 at a rotation rate of 1 rpm can be determined using the formula r=9.81(10 m/s^2)/ (pie *1rpm/30)^2. By using the centripetal force equation, F=ma, the solution can be found without having to look up a formula on Wikipedia.
ariol
Determind the minimum diameter of a space station that would simulate an artificial G of 10 m/s^2 at a rotation rate of 1 rpm.

I was not given an equation, it was one of them 'try to figure it out yourself equations' but I think it is:
r=9.81g?(pie * rpm/30)^2

at least that is the equation I got from wiki...

My attempt at a solution:
r=9.81(10 m/s^2)/ (pie *1rpm/30)^2
r =981/.0109
r =90,000

then I doubled the ratius to get the diameter:
d=180,000

that seems pretty large. i don't know what I am doing wrong. if you could help that would be great. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the 9.81 come from? We are not on Earth we're in space there is no gravitational acceleration.

Instead of finding some formula on wikipedia, are you familiar with the centripetal force?

Yes. I am familiar with it.

Then you can answer this question without having to look up a formula on wiki by using F=ma. Can you see how?

Oh okay. Wow, I didn't realize it was that simple. Thanks.

1. How does artificial gravity work on a space station?

Artificial gravity on a space station is created by using centripetal force. The station rotates, causing objects and people inside to experience a force that simulates gravity. This force is dependent on the speed and radius of rotation.

2. What are the potential benefits of having artificial gravity on a space station?

Having artificial gravity on a space station can help mitigate the negative effects of long-term space travel on the human body, such as muscle atrophy and bone density loss. It can also make daily tasks and experiments easier to perform.

3. Is it possible to have varying levels of artificial gravity on a space station?

Yes, it is possible to have varying levels of artificial gravity on a space station. This can be achieved by having different rotating sections or by adjusting the speed and radius of rotation in different areas.

4. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to having artificial gravity on a space station?

One of the main challenges of artificial gravity on a space station is the design and engineering required to create a rotating structure that is safe and functional. There may also be challenges with adapting to the changing forces and potential motion sickness for some individuals.

5. Has artificial gravity ever been successfully implemented on a space station?

Yes, artificial gravity has been successfully implemented on multiple space stations, including the International Space Station and the Skylab space station. However, these stations only have partial gravity and are not able to fully simulate Earth's gravity.