Powering Digital Circuitry From SMPS

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of powering a microcontroller directly from a buck-boost converter. The issues of ringing and current rise time can be addressed with a snubber, but the need for a higher current in sleep mode poses a problem. The solution may involve increasing the current slew rate, but this can also result in a higher switching frequency. The size of the inductor and capacitor will impact regulation and supply noise, and a large capacitor may be necessary for a significant difference in current requirements between sleep and active mode. Additionally, starting a SMPS from cold may cause a delay, so alternative options such as keeping a charged capacitor or rechargeable battery on standby may be necessary."
fobos3
I was thinking of powering a microcontroller directly from a buck-boost converter, but after doing a few calculations I ran into the following problems:
  • Ringing when switching on/off
  • Current rise time

You can get the ringing down with a snubber. The current rise time however is a big problem. Imagine that the micro is in sleep mode and it is woken up. All of a sudden a higher current is required. The control system disconnects the load from the power supply and starts charging the inductor. The inductor needs to be charged to the higher current before the capacitor drops below the permissible microcontroller voltage (say 5%).

I ran some calculations for a current of 100mA and I ended up with huge capacitor values (mF for a rise time of a ms).

So I was wondering is it at all possible to power a microcontroller directly from an SMPS? Obviously you can increase the current slew rate but then your switching frequency goes through the roof.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In reality the relative size of the inductor and capacitor will decide the regulation or supply noise. For a huge variation of current requirement between sleep and active mode you will need a large capacitor. I have built SMPS that tick away in sleep mode at 1Hz but then rise to 50kHz when active. The frequency ratio will be proportional to the current ratio.

It will take time to start a SMPS from cold. If that delay is a problem then you should keep a capacitor charged, or a rechargeable battery ready for the instant start.

1. How does an SMPS power digital circuitry?

An SMPS (Switched-Mode Power Supply) is a type of power supply that uses high-frequency switching to convert electrical energy from one form to another. In the case of powering digital circuitry, an SMPS takes the AC power from an outlet and converts it to DC power at the required voltage and current for the digital circuitry to function.

2. What are the advantages of using an SMPS to power digital circuitry?

One of the main advantages of using an SMPS is its efficiency. SMPS can convert electrical energy with much higher efficiency compared to traditional linear power supplies. This means less energy is wasted, resulting in lower energy costs. Additionally, SMPS are smaller and lighter, making them ideal for use in compact electronic devices.

3. Are there any disadvantages of using an SMPS to power digital circuitry?

One potential disadvantage of an SMPS is the presence of high-frequency noise. The switching action can generate electromagnetic interference (EMI) that may affect the performance of sensitive electronic components. However, this can be mitigated by using proper shielding and filtering techniques.

4. Can an SMPS power all types of digital circuitry?

An SMPS can power most digital circuitry, but it is essential to ensure that the output voltage and current of the power supply match the requirements of the specific circuit. Some types of digital circuitry, such as high-power devices, may require a specialized SMPS or alternative power source.

5. How do I choose the right SMPS for my digital circuitry?

When selecting an SMPS for powering digital circuitry, it is crucial to consider the voltage and current requirements of the circuit, as well as the efficiency and noise levels of the power supply. It is also essential to ensure that the SMPS is from a reputable manufacturer and meets all necessary safety standards.