Kinetic energy/ net work problem

In summary: Use this to find the potential energy at the highest point, then use the potential energy equation to solve for the height. In summary, the conversation discusses throwing a stone and the concept of energy and momentum. The questions guide the reader to explore these concepts and apply them in different scenarios. The work done by the hand and the net work done on the stone are calculated, as well as the change in kinetic energy and the height the stone will reach. The velocity and change in momentum of the stone are also calculated, and the difference between total and net impulse is explained. To calculate the height, the conservation of mechanical energy is used and the potential energy equation is applied.
hhq5000

Homework Statement

Suppose you throw a stone having a mass of 0.50 kg vertically upward. Let us assume that your hand exerts an average force of 110 N over an arm displacement (upward) of 0.60 m. Through the following sequence of questions, we shall explore, in terms of the energy and momentum concepts, what happens to the stone. Follow the sequence carefully for the exercise that it provides in using and interpreting the energy and momentum concepts, setting up numerical expressions, and indicating your line of reasoning. Do not resort to calculating accelerations or using the kinematical relations except to check your results for internal consistency.

b.) Calculate the work done on the stone by your hand in the act of throwing.

c.) Calculate the net work done on the stone during the act of throwing. Be sure to be able to explain why this number differs from the one obtained in part (b).

d.) Calculate the change in kinetic energy of the stone during the act of throwing.

e.) Calculate how high the stone will rise (making use of kinetic and potential energy concepts.)

f.) Using the result obtained in part (d), calculate the velocity of the stone at the instant it parts contact with your hand.

g.) Calculate the change of momentum that was imparted to the stone in the act of throwing.

h.) What magnitude of net impulse, in what direction, must have been imparted to the stone by the act of throwing?

i.) What total magnitude of impulse was imparted to the stone by your hand?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part c and d, i read in my textbook that net work is the same as the kinetic energy. the equation for kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2. there is no velocity given in the problem. i am really stuck with this one and don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Is the force of your hand the only force acting on the stone?

by factoring in gravity, i was able to get all of them except for e. and i. what is the difference between the total magnitude of impulse of the stone imparted by the hand, and the magnitude of net impulse imparted by the act of throwing?

also, i don't understand how i will be able to calculate how high the stone will rise with this information

hhq5000 said:
what is the difference between the total magnitude of impulse of the stone imparted by the hand, and the magnitude of net impulse imparted by the act of throwing?
One includes only the force imparted by the hand; the other includes all forces.

also, i don't understand how i will be able to calculate how high the stone will rise with this information
Hint: Once the stone leaves the hand, mechanical energy is conserved.

FAQ: Kinetic energy/ net work problem

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE= 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and net work?

Net work is the total amount of energy transferred to or from an object due to external forces. The change in kinetic energy of an object is equal to the net work done on the object.

What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy in everyday life include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a rolling ball, or a person running.

How can kinetic energy be transformed into other forms of energy?

Kinetic energy can be transformed into other forms of energy through processes such as friction, heat transfer, or collisions. For example, when a moving object comes to a stop, its kinetic energy is transformed into heat due to friction with the ground.

Back