Net work and kinetic energy (pushing a wagon to accelerate it)

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of using different values for work in the kinetic energy equation and questions why friction is not taken into account. The expert confirms that the net work equals the change in kinetic energy and asks for clarification on the answer and the mass of the wagon.
aqryus
Homework Statement
Bill does 500J of work on a wagon, friction does work of -200J. What is the final speed of the wagon if it starts at rest?
Relevant Equations
w=fdcostheta
Ek=1/2mv^2
I'm a little confused because my teacher used Bill's 500J of work for the kinetic energy equation and I don't understand why. I used the net work, so 300J, to find the speed and I'm not sure why that's wrong. Wouldn't friction make the wagon move slower than if there was no friction? So why isn't that accounted for in the kinetic energy equation to find speed? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The net work done on the wagon equals the change in the kinetic energy of the wagon. What did you get for the answer? Was the mass of the wagon specified?

1. What is net work?

Net work is the total amount of energy transferred to an object by a force, resulting in a change in the object's motion.

2. How is net work calculated?

Net work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity.

4. How is kinetic energy related to net work?

Net work is directly related to the change in kinetic energy of an object. The work done on an object by a force will result in an equal change in the object's kinetic energy.

5. How does pushing a wagon to accelerate it involve net work and kinetic energy?

Pushing a wagon requires applying a force over a distance, resulting in net work being done on the wagon. This work increases the wagon's kinetic energy, causing it to accelerate.