1D Kinematics - 2 stones thrown - where do they meet?

In summary, the problem involves two stones thrown simultaneously from different points, one upwards and one downwards, with the same initial speed and a cliff with a height of 5.85m. To find the point where the stones cross paths, the equations of motion for each stone are used along with a condition for them to meet. The final answer is 2.36m above the base of the cliff.
Hemingway

Homework Statement

Two stones are thrown simultaneously, one straight upward from the base of a cliff and the other straight downward from the top of the cliff. The height of the cliff is 5.85 m. The stones are thrown with the same speed of 8.59 m/s. Find the location (above the base of the cliff) of the point where the stones cross paths.

answer = 2.36m --> not sure how to get there.

Homework Equations

s = ut + 1/2at2
perhaps some other 1D Kinematics equations to find other variables

The Attempt at a Solution

Assumptions:
1. SU (stone thrown upwards) velocity is upwards but acceleration is downwards (g)
2. SD (stone thrown downwards) velocity is down as is acceleration (g)
3. SD is faster than SU so they will not meet at the middle of height of cliff
4. (?) they will meet when SU reaches 0m/s velocity (disproven, i think)

other ideas:
5. they will not meet before the point of SU's 0m/s - at which point I don't know how to proceed
6. meeting will occur at t(d) = t(u)
7. Y = y(sd) - y(su)??My last attempt:

hypothesis: they meet at SU zero point

v^2 = u^2 + 2as
s = v^2 - u^2/ 2a
s = 3.76m not the answer (2.36m)

so...

Stone downwards

v^2 = u^2 + 2as
= 8.59^2 + 2 (-9.81)(5.85)
v = -6.40m/s

t = (v-u)/a
= -6.40 - 8.59/-9.81
t = 1.53s

Stone upwards

y = 0m
a = 9.81m/s^2
u = 8.59m/s
y = ?

if y = 0

v = u + 2as
= 5.89 + 2(9.81)(0)
v = 5.89

does D = Ddown - Sup ?
if so what do I use as my displacement for stone upwards?

so... I'm conceptually stuck. I don't have the best problem solving in physics..

Any hints regarding assumptions?

Many thanks,

H.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best thing to do in such cases is to find the equations of motion for the each body, i.e. their exact location at any moment. Let the stones move along the y-axis (positive direction upwards).

For stone thrown upwards, you have

[tex]y_{up}=v_{0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2},[/tex]

where [itex]v_{0}[/itex] is the initial velocity.

And for the stone thrown from the top of the cliff

[tex]y_{down}=h-v_{0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2},[/tex]

where [itex]h[/itex] is the height of the cliff.

Using these equations and one more (condition for the stones to meet) it's easy to find the time and the sought coordinate.

Thank you very much! I'll try that out :)

Hemingway said:
Thank you very much! I'll try that out :)

N-Gin said:
The best thing to do in such cases is to find the equations of motion for the each body, i.e. their exact location at any moment. Let the stones move along the y-axis (positive direction upwards).

For stone thrown upwards, you have

[tex]y_{up}=v_{0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2},[/tex]

where [itex]v_{0}[/itex] is the initial velocity.

And for the stone thrown from the top of the cliff

[tex]y_{down}=h-v_{0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2},[/tex]

where [itex]h[/itex] is the height of the cliff.

Using these equations and one more (condition for the stones to meet) it's easy to find the time and the sought coordinate.

Apologies, I am still lost. Ultimately does the answer = Yup - Ydown? I might not have the cerebral ability to work out this other condition..

Sorry :/

Actually I worked it out don't worry! Thank you very much

1. What is 1D Kinematics?

1D Kinematics is the study of motion in one dimension, typically along a straight line. It involves understanding concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the position of two stones thrown at different speeds?

To calculate the position of two stones thrown at different speeds, you would need to use the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2 for each stone, where s is the position, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You can then set the two equations equal to each other to find the time at which the stones meet.

3. Can two stones thrown at different angles meet?

Yes, two stones thrown at different angles can meet if they have the same initial velocity and the same time of flight. This is because the horizontal component of their motion is the same, causing them to have the same displacement at a given time.

4. How does air resistance affect the meeting point of two stones thrown?

Air resistance can affect the meeting point of two stones thrown by altering their trajectories. If one stone experiences more air resistance than the other, it will have a lower horizontal velocity and therefore a shorter time of flight, causing it to land at a different position than the other stone.

5. Is the meeting point of two stones thrown affected by the mass of the stones?

No, the meeting point of two stones thrown is not affected by the mass of the stones. This is because the force of gravity is independent of mass, and therefore the acceleration due to gravity is the same for both stones. The position at which the stones meet is determined by their initial velocities and the time of flight, not their mass.