Optical tweezers that not always atract but also repel

In summary: I think I need to get a better beam expander...)In summary, the optical tweezers are coupled to an inverted optical microscope, and the trap is not working properly. The focus of the laser is not matched to the objective lens, and there are residual aberrations.
Fioda
Hi!
I have the following problem: the optical tweezers attract beads but when the beads get to the trap, they are repelled. Furthermore, when once in a while a bead gets trapped, it goes out of focus.
The tweezers are coupled to an inverted optical microscope. They are made with an IR laser and an aquous immersion 100X objective (NA 1)
Some trick of what to do?

Science news on Phys.org
My first guess (based on the information you provide) is that the trap is attractive in 2 dimensions (in the plane of focus) but not in 'z'. Generally, this is caused by poor alignment or incomplete control of residual aberrations, typically spherical and astigmatism.

Directly imaging the trap is essential to ensure good alignment- place a mirror at the sample plane and as you scan through focus, you will easily be able to tell if you have alignment problems.

Edit- your statement that trapped beads appear 'out of focus' also indicate that your tweezer beam isn't properly matched to the objective lens- either not collimated (for infinity-corrected objectives) or otherwise incorrectly aligned.

Hi Andy, thanks for your answer. I did what you told me (using a viewer card). I finally could trap beads again BUT out of focus... besides, the laser does not look perfect (I attached a photo). How can I improve the focus of the laser? How can I get rid of residual aberrations?

Attachments

• laser image.pdf
    86.1 KB · Views: 231
yikes... I assume this is the image of the focal spot obtained using a first-surface mirror?

I can see astigmatism and coma- if the spot moves from side to side as you pass through focus, that's confirmation of off-axis aberrations. Those aberrations are often caused by angular misalignment- I have to align the tweezer to within a few arcminutes, and sub-arcmin is ideal.

Ideally, you should see an Airy disc on focus, and concentric circles off-focus- I should be able to post a few pics shortly.

Edit- here they are: one near focus, one past focus
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/7821/focus0000.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img715/741/pastfocus0001.jpg

The vertical stripes (and satellite dots) are, I think, from the dichroic mirror used to couple the tweezer to the microscope. It does not appear to degrade trap performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again!
Here are the images of the airy discs. They are not so bad, are they?
However, the trap is still not working properly, and when the beads are trapped (most of the time they go out of the trap but sometime they stay there), they are out of focus. Probably, I can overcome that problem moving the collimation of the beam expander?

Attachments

• airly discs.pdf
    100 KB · Views: 261

What are optical tweezers?

Optical tweezers are a scientific tool that uses a focused laser beam to manipulate microscopic particles. They use the momentum of the photons in the laser to create an attractive force on the particles and move them in a desired direction.

How do optical tweezers attract particles?

Optical tweezers attract particles by using a focused laser beam to create a gradient of light intensity. The particles are pushed towards the area of highest intensity, which is the center of the laser beam. This creates an attractive force that can be used to move the particles in a controlled manner.

Can optical tweezers also repel particles?

Yes, optical tweezers can also repel particles. By changing the properties of the laser, such as the wavelength or polarization, the gradient of light intensity can be reversed. This will cause the particles to be pushed away from the center of the beam, creating a repulsive force.

What is the benefit of using optical tweezers over other manipulation methods?

The main benefit of using optical tweezers is their ability to manipulate particles without physical contact. This means they can be used on delicate or sensitive samples without causing damage. They also have a high degree of precision and can manipulate particles on a sub-micron scale.

What are some applications of optical tweezers?

Optical tweezers have a wide range of applications in fields such as biology, physics, and chemistry. They are commonly used to study the mechanics of cells, manipulate biological molecules, and measure small forces. They can also be used in the assembly of micro- and nano-structures and in the study of materials at the nanoscale.