Why Do Systems Prefer the Lowest Energy State?

In summary: It's like if you roll a ball down a hill, it will roll towards the bottom. In the same way, a dipole in an external field will feel a force that causes it to align itself parallel to the field. This is due to the physical law of electromagnetism. In summary, the preference for a system to be in a lowest energy state is a result of physical laws and the tendency towards equilibrium due to an imbalance of forces. The specific physical law involved will depend on the system in question. This can be seen with the example of an electric/magnetic dipole aligning itself parallel to an external field due to the force it feels, governed by the physical law of electromagnetism.
sreerajt
Hello friends... Please answer to this question…
Any system always prefers a lowest energy state. Why? Does this fact come from any physical laws?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a pretty interesting question. I would say it is a direct result of physical laws, but I really couldn't give you a good explanation.

Also, please don't make your text way bigger than it needs to be. It's like talking really loudly into someones ear.

I am not sure prefer is the right word, but a system would tend toward equilibrium due to an imbalance of some kind. From a less to more stable state. The physical law involved will depend on the system in question.

Sorry about the font. i didn't meant to talk loud. Please forgive...

JustinRyan said:
I am not sure prefer is the right word, but a system would tend toward equilibrium due to an imbalance of some kind. From a less to more stable state. The physical law involved will depend on the system in question.

imbalance of what?

An imbalance of forces perhaps.

If you ask a more specific question, I can try to give more specific answers.

Energy can dissipate from a system and be converted to other forms but to get the system to a higher energy state requires you put energy into it. When the energy is dissipated, some sorrounding system will absorb the energy and enter a higher energy state. Energy is conserved. But overall, there will be a statistical tendency for systems toward lower energy states as the energy "spreads out" more.

Say for example this:
why does a (electric/magnetic)dipole placed in external electric/magnetic field align itself parallel to the field. Why?

sreerajt said:
Say for example this:
why does a (electric/magnetic)dipole placed in external electric/magnetic field align itself parallel to the field. Why?

Because it feels a force that causes it to do so.

What is a "system in lowest energy state"?

A system in lowest energy state refers to a physical or chemical system that has reached its most stable and energetically favorable state. This means that the system has the lowest possible energy and is unlikely to undergo any further changes on its own.

How is the lowest energy state determined for a system?

The lowest energy state for a system is determined by the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the second law which states that systems tend towards maximum entropy or disorder. In other words, the lowest energy state is the state with the highest level of stability and the least amount of energy available for work.

Why is it important to study systems in their lowest energy state?

Studying systems in their lowest energy state allows us to understand the fundamental behavior of physical and chemical systems. It also helps us predict and control the behavior of systems, which is important for various applications in industries such as materials science and engineering.

Can a system in lowest energy state change?

While a system in lowest energy state is unlikely to undergo any spontaneous changes, it can be influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, or chemical reactions. These factors can cause the system to move away from its lowest energy state and towards a new equilibrium state.

How does a system reach its lowest energy state?

A system can reach its lowest energy state through various processes, such as energy transfer, chemical reactions, or phase changes. These processes allow the system to release energy and decrease its overall energy level until it reaches its lowest energy state.