Solved: Griffiths Quantum 2.51

In summary, The conversation discusses problem 2.51 from Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, specifically the potential V(x) = -\frac{\hbar^2 a^2}{m}sech^2(a x). The task is to graph the potential, find the ground state wave function and its energy, normalize the wave function, and solve the Schr\ddot{o}dinger equation for any positive energy. The solution is found to be a reflectionless potential, with every incident particle passing through regardless of its energy. The conversation also touches on the properties of ground state wave functions and the process for verifying solutions to the Schr\ddot{o}dinger equation.
NeoDevin
[SOLVED] Griffiths Quantum 2.51

This is problem 2.51 from Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed. p89.

Homework Statement
Consider the potential

[tex]V(x) = -\frac{\hbar^2 a^2}{m}sech^2(a x)[/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is a positive constant, and "sech" stands for the hyperbolic secant.

a) Graph this potential.

b) Check that this potential has the ground state

[tex]\psi_0(x) = A sech(a x)[/tex]

and find its energy. Normalize [itex]\psi_0[/itex], and sketch its graph.

c) Show that the function

[tex] \psi_k(x) = A\left(\frac{i k - a tanh(a x)}{i k + a}\right)e^{i k x} [/tex]

(where [itex] k = \sqrt{2 m E}/\hbar [/itex] as usual) solves the Schr\ddot{o}dinger equation for any (positive) energy [itex] E [/itex]. Since [itex] tanh z \rightarrow -1 [/itex] as [itex] z \rightarrow -\infty[/itex],

[tex] \psi_k(x) \approx A e^{i k x} [/tex], for large negative x.

This represents, then, a wave coming in from the left with no accompanying reflected wave (i.e., no term exp(-ikx)). What is the asymptotic form of [itex]\psi_k(x)[/itex] at large positive [itex]x[/itex]? What are R and T, for this potential? Comment: This is a famous example of a reflectionless potential - every incident particle, regardless of its energy, passes right through.

The attempt at a solution

Part a is easy, just draw the graph, intersecting the y-axis at -\frac{\hbar^2 a^2}{m}.

Part b is a little more difficult. I can show that it is a solution, but I'm not sure how to guarantee that it's the ground state. With that potential, I get that

[tex] \hat H\psi_0 = -\frac{\hbar^2 a^2}{2 m} \psi_0[/tex]

If this result was the same as the minimum potential, I could say for certain that it's the ground state.

And for the normalization constant I get

[tex] A = \sqrt{\frac{a}{2}} [/tex]

Part c I don't have much clue for. I tried just putting the hamiltonian into mathematica with that wave function, to see what it gives me, but it didn't give me anything that I can see looks like the RHS of the equation, any suggestions on how to go about part c would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Part b: do you recall any paricular property that the ground state wave function always has for any potential (in one dimension), and that no excited-state wave function has?

Part c: plug in and grind should work to show that it is a solution.

Avodyne said:
Part b: do you recall any paricular property that the ground state wave function always has for any potential (in one dimension), and that no excited-state wave function has?

The lowest energy?

Avodyne said:
Part c: plug in and grind should work to show that it is a solution.

Ok, I'll try it again and write back here later/tomorrow.

The fact that it has no nodes guarantees that it's the ground state?

NeoDevin said:
The fact that it has no nodes guarantees that it's the ground state?

Bingo!

1. What is Griffiths Quantum 2.51?

Griffiths Quantum 2.51 is a textbook on quantum mechanics written by David J. Griffiths. It covers topics such as quantum states, observables, time evolution, and the basics of quantum mechanics.

2. Is Griffiths Quantum 2.51 suitable for beginners?

Yes, Griffiths Quantum 2.51 is commonly used as a textbook for introductory courses in quantum mechanics. It provides a clear and concise explanation of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

3. What topics are covered in Griffiths Quantum 2.51?

Griffiths Quantum 2.51 covers topics such as quantum states, observables, time evolution, the Schrödinger equation, and the basics of quantum mechanics. It also includes discussions on quantum tunneling, harmonic oscillators, and angular momentum.

4. Is Griffiths Quantum 2.51 suitable for self-study?

Yes, Griffiths Quantum 2.51 can be used for self-study as it provides clear explanations, examples, and exercises to reinforce the concepts. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra before studying this textbook.

5. Are there any supplemental materials available for Griffiths Quantum 2.51?

Yes, there are supplemental materials available for Griffiths Quantum 2.51, such as a solutions manual, lecture notes, and online resources. These materials can be found on the author's website or through your university's online resources.