And the winner of the 2006 Darwin Awards is

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: I think they hired the valedictorian a few years ago. He was a brilliant kid who just graduated from Harvard with a degree in mathematics. He turned out to be an excellent programmer.I think it's terrible that these kids who might not have been ultra smart, made a mistake that cost them their lives and now some dorks on the internet are saying that their death was for the progress of humanity.In summary, two students were found dead inside a helium balloon after apparently pulling it down and crawling inside it. The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-balloon05.html

LUTZ, Fla. -- Two college students were found dead inside a large, deflated helium balloon after apparently pulling it down and crawling inside it, officials said.

:grumpy: They literally forgot to breathe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They didn't "forget to breathe", they asphyxiated! :grumpy:

Rach3 said:
good, I wasn't the only one wondering WTF pengwuino was talking about

Rach3 said:

Fool! That line isn't funny!

Then make up something that is.

My heart breaks for the parents who have lost a son and daughter. :frown: I doubt they thought about the fact that the baloon was still full of He and that there was no oxygen.

Such accidents have happened in other industries where people enter storage systems or tanks that are full of nitrogen or other inert gas. The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.

This doesn't deserve darwin's award, it's too normal... :)

Both of them were 21...

Also know as:
Lack of Intellgence design.
This will help the Evoloution of the human race greatly.

Astronuc said:
The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
You'd think it would be self-evident not to crawl inside a balloon, period, and especially one filled with helium. Somehow I don't think all the warnings in the world would have helped kids that are truly that stupid...or drunk...or both. You do feel sorry for the other people left behind, though. It's tough to lose someone close anytime, but it always seems more tragic when they are young.

Astronuc said:
Such accidents have happened in other industries where people enter storage systems or tanks that are full of nitrogen or other inert gas. The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
Confined space permits and training are probably not immediately on most people's minds, but you'd wish that parents would instill a certain amount of common sense in their children. Even without the presence of He, there should have been little alarms going off in their minds before trying to do it.

Then again, it could be foul play...Nah. I watch too much CSI.

Astronuc said:
My heart breaks for the parents who have lost a son and daughter. :frown: I doubt they thought about the fact that the baloon was still full of He and that there was no oxygen.

You think the two worked there?

I kind of got the impression they were just a couple of college kids who happened to see the hydrogen balloon outside the store. I guess some kind of warning like the 'anti-theft' device warning on vending machines (the picture of the vending machine falling over on the guy shaking the machine) could have been used, but I doubt the couple read any warnings that may or may not have been on the balloon.

Well, I just assumed one or the other or both were retrieving the balloon. Perhaps they just decided to get inside and have fun, not realizing that with He inside, there is no oxygen to breath. I wonder how many young people would think of that? Probably very few.

they were able to breathe helium in Sphere...:uhh:

Astronuc said:
I wonder how many young people would think of that? Probably very few.
Wow, Astro! You set terribly low standards for today's youth!

i think its terrible that these kids who might not have been ultra smart, made a mistake that cost them their lives and now some dorks on the internet are saying that their death was for the progress of humanity.

I visited the local high school, which is one of the largest in the state and considered one of the best. I was not impressed. Two or three of the several hundred of students I met expressed capability and motivation.

On the other hand, I did hire the valedictorian a few years ago. He was a brilliant kid who just graduated from Harvard with a degree in mathematics. He turned out to be an excellent programmer. But he still has a lot to learn.

yomamma said:
they were able to breathe helium in Sphere...:uhh:
Helium mix i.e. mixed w/ Oxygen.

Rach3 said:
still not right. They just forgot what breathe.

heartless said:
This doesn't deserve darwin's award, it's too normal... :)
No, this definitely qualifies for the Darwin Award. How many people would do this? Aside from these two, I think the count is zero.

Gokul43201 said:
Wow, Astro! You set terribly low standards for today's youth!

It's hard not to when they can't even spell or speak English properly...

Tsu said:
It's hard not to when they can't even spell or speak English properly...

Do you hve a problim with how we speak engrish?

Unless this is an urban legend, didn't a similar thing happen during a NASA tour inside a building or final stage of a Saturn rocket, where the area was filled with nitrogen gas?

True NASA atrocity: didn't anyone realized that pure oxygen at near 20psi would create a highly flammable environment?

Pure oxygen at any pressure is a fire hazard. Compression heating is one of the leading causes of oxygen mishaps.

FredGarvin said:
Pure oxygen at any pressure is a fire hazard.
At 5 psi, as used in the Apollo missions, it was relativly safe, but at 20psi during a ground test, it wasn't. At least that is what NASA claims.

1. What are the Darwin Awards?

The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor given to individuals who have died in an incredibly foolish or idiotic manner, thereby removing themselves from the gene pool and "improving" the human race.

2. How did the Darwin Awards get their name?

The Darwin Awards are named after Charles Darwin, a British naturalist who developed the theory of evolution by natural selection. The awards are a humorous take on his theory, as they highlight individuals who have removed themselves from the gene pool through their own foolish actions.

3. How are winners of the Darwin Awards selected?

Winners of the Darwin Awards are selected through a process of public nominations and a panel of judges. Nominations can be submitted through the official Darwin Awards website, and are reviewed by a team of editors and fact-checkers. The final decision is made by a panel of judges who determine if the incident meets the criteria for a Darwin Award.

4. Is it true that the Darwin Awards only go to posthumous recipients?

While the majority of Darwin Awards recipients are posthumous, there have been a few exceptions. The official criteria for a Darwin Award states that the individual must be "sterilized" or "removed from the gene pool" in some way, which can also include becoming permanently disabled or infertile. However, the majority of winners are indeed deceased.

5. Are the Darwin Awards meant to be taken seriously?

No, the Darwin Awards are meant to be taken as a humorous and satirical commentary on human behavior. The intent is not to celebrate death or encourage risky behavior, but rather to highlight the importance of common sense and caution. The awards also serve as a reminder of the consequences of foolish actions and the importance of natural selection in shaping our species.

Back