Can I get into a geosciences graduate program without a geophysics background?

• Programs
  • Thread starter srijal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Science
In summary, the individual has a BS degree in physics and is interested in pursuing a graduate degree in geological sciences, specifically sedimentology. They have two REU experiences, but neither were related to geophysics. They are wondering if they can still apply and be admitted to a geosciences graduate program, specifically at institutions such as Caltech, Stanford, and Arizona State. There is no clear answer as it depends on the institution and their willingness to accept the individual into the program. However, there is an example of someone with a similar background who was able to pursue a PhD in geology and now works for BP.
srijal
I have a BS degree in physics from a US school with no geology background whatsoever. But I want to pursue graduate degree in geological sciences (sedimentology). I have two REU experiences under my belt but none of them were related to geophysics. Can I apply and get admitted to geosciences graduate program ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends entirely on the institution you have your eye on and whether or not they're willing to accept you into the program. FWIW one of my friends got his BS in physics and his PhD in some sort of geology and didn't seem to have too many problems finding a program that would take him. He ended up working for BP. He was pretty busy a few months ago.

Im applying to Caltech, Stanford and Arizona State. Any suggestion ?

1. What is a PhD in Geological Science?

A PhD in Geological Science is an advanced degree that focuses on the study of the Earth's structure, composition, and processes. It involves conducting original research and contributing new knowledge to the field of geology.

2. What are the requirements for obtaining a PhD in Geological Science?

The requirements for obtaining a PhD in Geological Science vary depending on the university and program. Generally, it involves completing coursework, passing comprehensive exams, conducting original research, and defending a dissertation. Some programs may also require teaching or fieldwork experience.

3. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Geological Science?

A PhD in Geological Science can lead to various career opportunities in both academic and non-academic settings. Graduates may work as research scientists, professors, consultants, or in government agencies focusing on areas such as natural resource management, environmental protection, and energy exploration.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Geological Science?

The length of a PhD program in Geological Science can vary, but it typically takes around 4 to 6 years to complete. This may also depend on factors such as the student's research progress and the specific requirements of the program.

5. What skills are important for success in a PhD in Geological Science program?

Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are essential for success in a PhD in Geological Science program. Additionally, proficiency in data analysis, field work, and technical writing are important for conducting research and presenting findings. Good communication and time management skills are also beneficial for completing the program successfully.