Must a wavefunction always be dimensionless?

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy eigenvalue equation H\Psi = E\Psi and the units of \hbar and \frac{d^2}{dx^2} in relation to finding the overall energy and dimensionality of the wave function. It is concluded that the wave function must be dimensionless overall in order to accurately calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific volume.
jeebs
I was just daydreaming for a few minutes about the energy eigenvalue equation [tex]H\Psi = E\Psi[/tex]. Say H described a particle in zero potential, so that all its energy was kinetic, ie. [tex]H = 0.5mv^2 = \frac{p^2}{2m} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex].

Looking at the units of [tex]\hbar[/tex] these are Js, so the units of [tex]\hbar^2 / 2m[/tex] are [tex]J^2s^2kg^-^1 = (kgm^2s^-^2)s^2kg^-^1 = kgm^4s^-^2[/tex], which is (energy)(length)2 dimensions.

So, the [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex] part that operates on the [tex]\Psi[/tex] must give a factor with units m-2 to get units of energy overall, which is what you want the energy eigenvalue E to have, right?

So, am I right in thinking that a wavefunction must always be dimensionless overall? I never really considered this before, but I suppose it would make sense given that if you square it you get a position probability, which requires no units.

If this is true I wish I had realized earlier, might have made checking my solutions easier...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter what dimension the wave function has if you only consider the Schrödinger equation. Since the unit of d²/dx² = 1/m² always, you always get energy, no matter what object H acts on. In fact, from the probability definition (probabaility to find the particle in the volume V)
[tex]P(V) = \int_V |\psi(x)|² \mathrm{d}^3 x[/tex]
you can infer the units of the wave function: it must be m^(-3/2) so that by squaring and integrating over three spatial dimensions you get a pure number.

Related to Must a wavefunction always be dimensionless?

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of a particle or system's quantum state. It contains information about the position, momentum, and other properties of the particle or system.

2. Why must a wavefunction be dimensionless?

A wavefunction must be dimensionless because it is a probability amplitude, meaning it describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain state. Probabilities are dimensionless quantities, so the wavefunction must also be dimensionless in order for the probabilities to make sense.

3. Can a wavefunction have physical units?

No, a wavefunction cannot have physical units. As mentioned before, it is a probability amplitude and therefore must be dimensionless. Introducing physical units would not make sense in the context of probabilities.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that a wavefunction must be dimensionless?

There are no exceptions to this rule. In quantum mechanics, all wavefunctions must be dimensionless in order to accurately describe the probabilities of a particle's state.

5. How is the dimensionlessness of a wavefunction related to the uncertainty principle?

The dimensionlessness of a wavefunction is related to the uncertainty principle in that it helps us to understand the limits of our knowledge about a particle's state. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. The dimensionlessness of the wavefunction reflects this relationship, as it is impossible to have a precise value for both position and momentum at the same time.