Mathematical Skills for Understanding General and Special Relativity

In summary: I think for someone who has some familiarity with differential geometry and calculus, but no familiarity with quantum mechanics, a book like Exploring Black Holes by Taylor and Wheeler would be a good starting point. At a more advanced level, books like Hartle would be necessary.
Aaronvan
I'm curious as to the highest level of mathematical skill required for adequate understanding of Einstein's theories. For example, how deep into PDE's do the field equations require?

Physics news on Phys.org
GR can be understood at many different levels. If all you knew was algebra, you could understand Relativity Simply Explained, by Gardner. If all you know is a semester's worth of calculus, you can understand Exploring Black Holes, by Taylor and Wheeler. With a little more background, you can understand upper-division undergrad books like Hartle.

Sophistication in physics is much more important, and much harder to acquire, then sophistication in mathematics if you want to understand GR.

I think you can divide the learning process into three levels.
1. SR: You need the transformation of coordinates and basic physical minds.
2. GR, Introductory level: Some deviation from differential geometry textbook has already naturally make Riemann tensor and revalent tools falling out. Most textbooks starts from this, esp for the classic book Gravity.
3. GR, make use of differential form rather than covarient formulation: make writings simpler, but far far abstract than 2nd one. It is used together with the tensors to make physics simpler and merge things in diff. fields together.

I think we should ask what we mean by "understanding GR".

If GR is used as a framework to generate and study stellar and cosmological solutions I would say tensor calculus & PDEs are required. If we go one step further and try to understand GR as a structure describing the foundations of spacetime, its symmetry principles tec., then differential geoemtry and topology are required.

Thanks, I was thinking about GR at the grad level, I guess. The reason this question came up is because I read (some time ago) an interview with a physicist who stated something to the effect that “Einstein’s field equations are very [for him] difficult to grasp.” That got me thinking what it would take to have a clear elementary grasp of both theories.

The Taylor & Wheeler text appears very accessible. Thanks for recommending it. (Years ago I had a small book called “The Search for Gravity Waves” and I recall at the time having difficulty with the mathematics).

1. What are the necessary mathematical skills for understanding general and special relativity?

The necessary mathematical skills for understanding general and special relativity include calculus, linear algebra, and tensor calculus. These mathematical concepts are used to describe the curvature of space and time, as well as the effects of gravity on objects in the universe.

2. How does calculus play a role in understanding general and special relativity?

Calculus is used to describe the curvature of space and time in general relativity. It is also used to calculate the effects of gravity on objects in special relativity, such as the time dilation and length contraction of moving objects.

3. What is the significance of linear algebra in understanding general and special relativity?

Linear algebra is used to represent and manipulate the mathematical objects known as tensors, which are essential in describing the curvature of space and time in general relativity. It is also used in special relativity to calculate the transformation of coordinates between different reference frames.

4. How does tensor calculus relate to general and special relativity?

Tensor calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of tensors. Tensors are used to describe the curvature of space and time in general relativity. They are also used in special relativity to describe the transformation of coordinates between different reference frames.

5. Can one understand general and special relativity without a strong background in mathematics?

While a strong background in mathematics is necessary for a deep understanding of general and special relativity, it is possible to grasp the basic concepts and principles without a strong mathematical background. However, a basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and tensor calculus is still required to fully comprehend these theories.