Direction of electron's total magnetic dipole moment

In summary, the conversation is about the direction of the electron's total magnetic dipole moment in relation to its total angular momentum vector L+S. The Wikipedia entry mentioned seems to suggest that it points in the same direction, while the person speaking believes it should point in the opposite direction. They are also discussing the concept of Gj and its negativity.
wumple
Hi,

What direction does the electron's total magnetic dipole moment point relative to it's total angular momentum vector L+S? It seems to me that it would point oppositely to J=L+S since the spin magnetic dipole moment and the orbital magnetic dipole moment are both opposite to L and S, but this wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_magnetic_dipole_moment#Total_magnetic_dipole_moment

seems to indicate otherwise. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
wumple said:
Hi,

What direction does the electron's total magnetic dipole moment point relative to it's total angular momentum vector L+S? It seems to me that it would point oppositely to J=L+S since the spin magnetic dipole moment and the orbital magnetic dipole moment are both opposite to L and S, but this wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_magnetic_dipole_moment#Total_magnetic_dipole_moment

seems to indicate otherwise. What am I missing?

Read it again.

netheril96 said:
Read it again.

Is Gj negative? I'm not seeing it...sorry!

hi
Dear frindz i am confused about direction of dipole moment.why we take displacement vector from negative towards positive?

1. What is the direction of an electron's total magnetic dipole moment?

The direction of an electron's total magnetic dipole moment is determined by the direction of its spin and orbital motion. The spin of an electron can be either up or down, while its orbital motion can be clockwise or counterclockwise. The combination of these two directions determines the overall direction of the electron's magnetic dipole moment.

2. Is the direction of an electron's magnetic dipole moment constant?

No, the direction of an electron's magnetic dipole moment can change depending on its environment. For example, when placed in an external magnetic field, the electron's magnetic dipole moment will align with the direction of the field. In addition, if the electron's spin or orbital motion changes, the direction of its magnetic dipole moment will also change.

3. How does the direction of an electron's magnetic dipole moment affect its behavior?

The direction of an electron's magnetic dipole moment is an important factor in determining its behavior. In the presence of a magnetic field, the electron will experience a force that is perpendicular to both its motion and the direction of the field. This force can cause the electron to move in a curved path, leading to phenomena such as the Hall effect and the deflection of electrons in a CRT television.

4. Can the direction of an electron's magnetic dipole moment be reversed?

Yes, the direction of an electron's magnetic dipole moment can be reversed through a process called electron spin resonance. This involves applying an oscillating magnetic field at a specific frequency, causing the electron's spin to flip and thus changing the direction of its magnetic dipole moment.

5. How is the direction of an electron's magnetic dipole moment related to its magnetic moment?

The direction of an electron's magnetic dipole moment is directly related to its magnetic moment. The magnetic moment is a measure of the strength of an electron's magnetic dipole moment, and the direction of the magnetic moment is always parallel to the direction of the magnetic dipole moment. In other words, the direction of the magnetic moment is always the same as the direction of the electron's spin and orbital motion.