Why Do Objects Appear As We See Them?

• Thread starter nouveau_riche
  • Start date
In summary: That is why you sometimes see a bit of light bulb in a wall.In summary, objects reflect light in different ways and our brain has the ability to construct images from the light that enters our eyes. Walls typically reflect light diffusely, which means the light is scattered in different directions, making it difficult to form a clear image. This is why we do not usually see reflected images in walls. However, if the wall's surface is slick enough, light can be reflected in a more direct manner, allowing us to see an image of the light source. This is also why we can see a tree through a window but not through a frosted window. The brain uses the various reflections and refractions of light to construct an image
nouveau_riche
i am new to physics so had a question regarding appearance of objects
firstly-why do we see the objects as they appear?
secondly-consider a situation wherein i am seeing the reflection of the bulbs above me on the reflecting surface on the ground,but i could not see those bulb refection from the side walls because they aren't reflective enough,also the only light producing element are those bulbs
the question that goes is
"why do i see side walls as walls but not as blurred reflection of bulbs?"

Physics news on Phys.org
nouveau_riche said:
i am new to physics so had a question regarding appearance of objects
firstly-why do we see the objects as they appear?
secondly-consider a situation wherein i am seeing the reflection of the bulbs above me on the reflecting surface on the ground,but i could not see those bulb refection from the side walls because they aren't reflective enough,also the only light producing element are those bulbs
the question that goes is
"why do i see side walls as walls but not as blurred reflection of bulbs?"

Last question: Sometimes you do, if the walls are slick enough. But normally the walls are not completely flat at the microscopic level; they break up the direct rays from the bulb and throw them in little pieces in every direction.

Objects either reflect light in straight lines (mirror), reflect light diffusely (wall), refract light (glass cup), or absorb light (black hair) and our brain has figured out how to construct an internal 3D image from the light (or lack of) that come from the object and enters our eyes. Why don't we typically see reflected images in walls? For the same reason you can look out a window and see a tree but if you look out a frosted window you don't. If the light gets jumbled up, you can't form images. Interestingly, most materials become highly reflective at grazing viewing angles. So if the wall's surface is not too rough, and you place the light bulb right near the wall and your head near the wall, you will be able to see a light bulb image reflected in the wall.

chrisbaird said:
Objects either reflect light in straight lines (mirror), reflect light diffusely (wall), refract light (glass cup), or absorb light (black hair) and our brain has figured out how to construct an internal 3D image from the light (or lack of) that come from the object and enters our eyes. Why don't we typically see reflected images in walls? For the same reason you can look out a window and see a tree but if you look out a frosted window you don't. If the light gets jumbled up, you can't form images. Interestingly, most materials become highly reflective at grazing viewing angles. So if the wall's surface is not too rough, and you place the light bulb right near the wall and your head near the wall, you will be able to see a light bulb image reflected in the wall.

do we have any theory about how brain construct these images just out of light?

danR said:
Last question: Sometimes you do, if the walls are slick enough. But normally the walls are not completely flat at the microscopic level; they break up the direct rays from the bulb and throw them in little pieces in every direction.

how does throwing light from a bulb into pieces due to roughness gives the perception of wall not of blurry bulb?

nouveau_riche said:
how does throwing light from a bulb into pieces due to roughness gives the perception of wall not of blurry bulb?

Think of it this way: you have a sheet of perfectly smooth aluminum foil. It reflects the bulb perfectly; you may not even notice the foil if it's that perfect.

crumple the surface a bit. The light bulb image breaks up somewhat, but you can still make something of it out. Crumple it more and more. The bulb gradually disappears into thousands of tiny bits as its rays are thrown into to your eyes not only from the direct reflection, but from every part of the aluminum foil.

The technical names for these appearances are 'spectral' and 'diffuse', respectively, and CGI imaging exploit these properties, and graphic artists are familiar with the phenomena.

Now you're not really seeing the bulb at all, just a big surface of white. The wall-paint is a little different, there are also refraction effects from the titanium dioxide white or whatever pigment, but the principle is the same: you're getting bits of reflection/refraction/dispersion of the light bulb from all over the surface and now you are really 'seeing' the wall. That is precisely what 'wall-appearance' consists of. That is the 'image' of what we perceive and call, a 'wall'.

But if there is a bit of surface sheen or slickness in the paint surface, then you still have a bit of mirror-like residue and you still see also a bit of the bulb.

1. Why do objects appear as the color they do?

Objects appear as a certain color because of the wavelengths of light that they reflect. The surface of an object absorbs some wavelengths of light and reflects others, which is what our eyes perceive as color.

2. Can the way objects appear change?

Yes, the way objects appear can change based on factors such as lighting, angle of view, and the properties of the object itself. For example, an object may appear differently in natural sunlight compared to artificial indoor lighting.

3. Why do some objects appear blurry or distorted?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as the object being out of focus, our eyes not being able to focus properly, or the object being in motion. In some cases, it could also be due to a visual impairment or a neurological condition.

4. How do our brains interpret what we see?

Our brains interpret what we see by receiving signals from our eyes and processing them through specialized regions of the brain. These signals are then combined with our previous experiences and knowledge to create a perception of the world around us.

5. Can objects appear differently to different people?

Yes, objects can appear differently to different people. This is because each person's perception is influenced by their individual experiences, cultural background, and visual abilities. Additionally, people may also have different interpretations of the same object based on their personal biases or preferences.